Water logged and tree jam suggestions

I've been messing around a lot with the new beta, absolutely love the new stuff (not to mention the better boats.) One of my favorite new additions is definitely messing around with tree jams and planting my own giant trees. That being said, I think there are a few changes that could be made to said giant trees, and I feel like tree jam could provide a lot of options for revitalizing late-game content.

Above Average trees: Currently, if you want your own giant trees the process is... Lengthy. Find the biome, find the crescent island, get glommer, move the giant seed where you want it, and spend a minimum of 1 season tending it and using tree jam on it. Honestly, I really don't mind the hassle. It's kind of a nice, non-combat related side mission vibe, and I'm all about that. However, currently your reward for doing all of this is a giant tree that provides a little protection from heat, rain and lightning, and not much else. It feels like above average trees need some other benefit.

• Above average trees could provide a few fig vines, or spawn in a grass gator like their larger counterparts. (Maybe just in smaller amounts.)
  • Above average trees could attract fireflies, making them a renewable resource.
  • Above average trees could spawn grass geckos near the shore, (which would kind of fit the theme of them being smaller versions of the main trees.)
  • Or, my favorite option, they could just be another step in the process of making your own massive trees. They could be upgraded, (kind of like the florid postern or other structures) maybe with more tree jam, huge amounts of fertilizer , etc. Gaining increased range over time and eventually providing some of the benefits of the larger trees. It would give a solid reason to invest in them, and be a cool new meta for base building.

As for tree jam. It's nice to finally have a good use for Glommer goop. It's definitely a cool item, and one that I think could benefit from a few more uses. While it's nice that it increases the growth state of trees, it isn't really useful for much other than the knobby trees right now. Which is fine, really, the suggestions below are really just a wishlist, not necessarily something I expect to see. (gotta dream though, right?)

• Tree Jam could be a way to artificially make tree guards, which would be a nice alternative to getting living logs for non-wormwood mains
  • Tree Jam could be used to turn surface mushrooms into mushtrees. (Not necessarily that useful, but would be a nice touch.)

Finally, and this one is a little out there, but it would be super cool if tree jam had some effect on Totally Normal Trees.

• Tree jam could regrow Totally Normal Tree stumps
  • Tree jam could be used to make Totally Normal Trees into some kind of tree guard variant, which would be an awesome way to add a little side boss. 
  • And, on the ridiculous scale, Tree jam could enrich totally normal trees, causing them to eventually become giant and spread a canopy over some of the forests. Which would be ridiculous, but could have some fun implications for making the forests more valuable later in the game. 

TLDR: I like trees. 

Archived