TequilaSeLai

Using base-game skins on a modded item?

Hey guys, I've made a few very minor mods in the past, but I'm working on something out of my wheelhouse now and finding myself completely clueless - both on how to implement and whether it's even allowed.  I wanted a clone of the basic wooden chest that behaves a just little differently.  Easy enough; I grabbed a couple mods that introduced larger chests and linked chests and worked out what I needed and what I didn't to create my basic mod.

But now my question is:  is it possible/allowed to set up a modded item to allow players to use their skins when constructing it, exactly as if they were building a standard wooden chest?  If so, where would I start looking for guidance (whether a tutorial, another thread, or another mod that already does this)?  I have exhausted my google-fu and made no progress.  Right now I have a functional mod, but every chest just looks exactly like the plain wooden chest that every camp already has a half a million of, and it'd be nice to have a visual indicator that "this is your special chest."  I recognize that I could just make all my regular chests look different when I'm building them, but if it's possible to make a more robust mod, then I'd rather do that.

And obviously (I hope) I'm only asking about using the chest skins players already own; I'm not trying to make every skin available to everyone or anything stupid.

Monti18    339

I don't know if you are allowed to use official skins for your items, even if you let the player only use the skins they have. You could probably make it somehow with this. but I'm not sure if this will work.

A better alternative that should also be allowed would be to add your changes to the treasurechest prefab with a AddPrefabPostInit, add a new recipe for the treasurechest with the costs that you want for your chest and then use AddPlayerPostInit to add a ListenForEvent function that listens for "buildstructure".

self.inst:PushEvent("buildstructure", { item = prod, recipe = recipe, skin = skin })

This is the line in builder.lua that pushes the event as you can see, where also the item is transmitted with the data.

In your ListenForEvent, you then activate the changes that you made to the chest and make sure to save them so that they are still there when you reload the world.

Small example of what I mean:

Spoiler

--Modmain

--adding a new recipe for the new chest
local AllRecipes = GLOBAL.AllRecipes
local RECIPETABS = GLOBAL.RECIPETABS
local STRINGS = GLOBAL.STRINGS
local TECH = GLOBAL.TECH

local treasurechest_sortkey = AllRecipes["treasurechest"]["sortkey"]

local treasurechest2 = AddRecipe("treasurechest2", {Ingredient("twigs", 10)}, RECIPETABS.TOWN, TECH.NONE)
treasurechest2.product = "treasurechest"
treasurechest2.image = "treasurechest.tex"
treasurechest2.sortkey = treasurechest_sortkey + 0.1
treasurechest2.numtogive = 1
STRINGS.NAMES.TREASURECHEST2 = "Another treasurechest"
STRINGS.RECIPE_DESC.TREASURECHEST2 = "Seriously."

--changing the chest to what you want
local function ChangingProperties(inst)
  	--your code for the changes
  	inst.newchest = true
end

AddPrefabPostInit("treasurechest",function(inst)
	inst.newchest_code = ChangingProperties(inst)
    if not GLOBAL.TheWorld.ismastersim then
      	return inst
    end
    inst.newchest = false
    local old_onsave = inst.OnSave
    inst.OnSave = function(inst,data)
      	if inst.newchest == true then
        	data.newchest== true
        end
      	if old_onsave ~= nil then
      		return old_onsave
        end
    end
    local old_onload = inst.OnLoad
    inst.OnLoad = function(inst,data)
      	if data.newchest == true then
        	inst.newchest_code(inst)
        end
      	if old_onload ~= nil then
      		return old_onload
        end
    end
end)

--adding a listener to change the chest if it should be your version
local function ChangeChest(inst,data)
  	if data then
    	if data.item and data.item == "treasurechest" then
      		if data.recipe and data.recipe.name == "treasurechest2" then
        		data.item.newchest_code(inst)
        	end
      	end
    end
end

AddPlayerPostInit(function(inst)
  	if not GLOBAL.TheWorld.ismastersim then
      	return inst
    end
    inst:ListenForEvent("buildstructure",ChangeChest)
end)

This is not tested, so there could be some errors in there, but in theory it should work :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Monti18 said:

A better alternative that should also be allowed would be to add your changes to the treasurechest prefab with a AddPrefabPostInit, add a new recipe for the treasurechest with the costs that you want for your chest and then use AddPlayerPostInit to add a ListenForEvent function that listens for "buildstructure".

Awesome thought, hadn't even occurred to me.  That should be enough to get me going, thank you so much!