Custom Character Script Crash

Hello! I'm revisiting Don't Starve Together with a few friends and decided to make my first, own custom character in the game.

I used this tutorial, and everything works fine up until I try to edit the scripts/lines in the game. I'm a beginner and I've only started Notepad++ two days ago with no coding experience whatsoever. When I replace my edited speech_customcharacter file, it works and doesn't crash. I'm pretty sure it's just that file itself.

Any advice? I can also post the other files here if needed. Thank you!

In the meantime, here's this is the custom character's speech file as is. 

16 hours ago, GlitchyKitty said:

Hello! I'm revisiting Don't Starve Together with a few friends and decided to make my first, own custom character in the game.

I used this tutorial, and everything works fine up until I try to edit the scripts/lines in the game. I'm a beginner and I've only started Notepad++ two days ago with no coding experience whatsoever. When I replace my edited speech_customcharacter file, it works and doesn't crash. I'm pretty sure it's just that file itself.

Any advice? I can also post the other files here if needed. Thank you!

In the meantime, here's this is the custom character's speech file as is. 

I meant to say, when I replace my edited speech_customcharacter file with the original, it works and doesn't crash.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, TheSkylarr said:

Can you send your crash logs, both server and client?

Here's the client log.

I can't seem to find a server log? Where can I find that? Maybe I'm just not looking at the right place. 

I'm also assuming it's not making a server log because the game crashes 2 seconds after I hit the "generate world". It crashes while it's in this screen. image.thumb.png.0263e510e30d52a2569176f6d6564c61.png

Generally, unless an error is shown on screen, you're gonna have a server crash.

You can find your server log located with each of your world files, your world files are near where your client log was, in folders called something like "cluster_1" or "cluster_4". You'll have to figure out which one is your test world.

You forgot a comma at line 1411,1737, a double comma at line 2379,2681 and at line 3175 you forgot quotation marks.

This can all be easily found by analyzing the server log. You will only have one when you have started your server at least once.

It will be at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\"your_steamid"\Cluster_"number"\Master\server_log.txt

Edited by Monti18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 4:46 AM, Monti18 said:

You forgot a comma at line 1411,1737, a double comma at line 2379,2681 and at line 3175 you forgot quotation marks.

This can all be easily found by analyzing the server log. You will only have one when you have started your server at least once.

It will be at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\"your_steamid"\Cluster_"number"\Master\server_log.txt

This fixed everything!! Thank you so much!