Gem Core on older builds of the game

I'm currently trying to run Gem Core on an older version of the game (422596 to be precise, through DepotDownloader) and it doesn't show up in my list of available mods, along with a couple of other server mods, though most server and client mods continue to work. I downloaded the 422596 manifest and replaced all the files of the game in /steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together except for the mod directory, and the other mod files in /workshop/contents are untouched as well.

I checked that Gem Core appears and does function when I'm on the current version of the game, and just by switching out the manifest files, and without touching any mod files, the game somehow stops recognising Gem Core.

I'm going through the trouble of running Gem Core on an older version of the game because I want to recreate an untouched save file of my current survival world using the world seed, which I created some time in the summer of 2020. Since the world generation settings have changed since then, I need to go back to an older build to generate the same world as before. @zarklord_klei any ideas? I understand that this mod was created for related purposes? Will trying newer builds work? I don't know exactly when I created this world, so I don't know the exact range of dates for which the builds had the identical world generation procedures. (ie. maybe I made it in July 2020, and world gen changes happened in September or October?)

21 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

While I don't offer support for older builds of the game, I think you would want to go to my GitLab for that mod, https://gitlab.com/DSTAPIS/GemCore and download a version of gemcore that was released at the time of the update. as I don't keep legacy code that won't be needed on the latest version of the game.

Thanks for the link, the mod seems to be working, and I also got the build version of the world (418572, and I was able to generate a world using this seed on the matching build. However, the game crashes without showing an error message (client just closes) whenever I try to generate a world with caves enabled. Creating a world without caves generates the world successfully, but the world does not resemble the original. Should the absence of caves dramatically change the overworld generation? I have attached the client log below. This has happened on one other build of the game, and the game crashes the same way even with no mods enabled, no options changed, just with caves enabled.

client_log.txt

• Developer
5 hours ago, xXWagonWheelsXx said:

Whelp, I guess I'll have to repeat the whole process on Windows then, but that lead is very helpful. Was the caves crashing a similar OS-specific issue, and if not, any idea on how to fix it?

Windows would also result in different worldgen, back then seeds were OS specific and (I didn't know at the time) completely broken due to some threading issues on OSX and Linux, if you generated your world on linux, there is nothing you can ever reasonably do to regenerate that identical world again.

• Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, zarklord_klei said:

Windows would also result in different worldgen, back then seeds were OS specific and (I didn't know at the time) completely broken due to some threading issues on OSX and Linux, if you generated your world on linux, there is nothing you can ever reasonably do to regenerate that identical world again.

I forgot to mention that luckily, I generated the world on Windows, so I was able to to get the appropriate manifest and reproduce the world. It was a lot more straight forward now that I had the process figured out mostly. However, I still don't know why the server was failing to start on the older manifest on Linux when caves were enabled, but it doesn't really affect me in the time being.

Also, it's strange that you say that Linux did not have consistent world generation, because I was able to consistently get the same world on Linux. Albeit, it was not the world that I wanted, but it was still consistent.