Do Your Research Before You Attack, Kids... is the moral of this tale

My group of friends and our mains: Winona (me), Walter, Wigfrid, Wortox, and Wickerbottom. 

Now, we are all fairly new players to Don't Starve Together, Walter being the longest player, having played since the start of this year. And since there is SO much to discover about DST, we usually look up tutorials on YouTube and things on the Wiki about kiting patterns for various mobs, how to farm for food, increase sanity, etc etc. 

Haha, well, we spawned in a new world, and decided to base in a grasslands biome. Now, that biome had a few beehives (not too many, but enough so that we could just farm bees for stingers and honey), one killer beehive, and a slumbering Bee Queen. Since Walter is allergic to bees, he was hesitant at first, but eventually acquiesced and we based there. We did fine for the first couple of days, we got three crockpots, a bunch of drying racks, and such, thanks to Wortox's and Wickerbottom's incessant resource gathering.

Then... one of us thought "Hey, we should take down the Bee Queen. Can't be that hard, right?" I should mention that at that point in time, we had never survived until summer and had never even fought a MooseGoose (which I think I've seen on the forums is arguably the easiest boss, could be wrong though). Continuing with the actual story, I forget who brought up the idea exactly, but I remember telling the others about the Bee Queen Crown and how it reverses sanity auras (I have no idea where I learned about that). Soooooo everyone got on board with killing the Bee Queen.... I made a bunch of butter muffins and left them in the crockpots for if/when during the fight, anybody needed healing (specifically Walter). We also didn't really know about Wortox's healing abilities at the time, which would have been useful... 

All of us were too lazy to look up the Bee Queen on the wiki and learn about kiting patterns or how much health she has, as we normally do when we encounter new mobs. Anyway, we armed ourselves with Wigfrid's battle spears and football/Wigfrid's helmets, then we grabbed a hammer and released the Bee Queen from her hive.

Big mistake.

22,500 health. 22,500 health. I know this may seem like common knowledge to anybody else, but our reactions to seeing the Bee Queen's health were just... oh god, we knew we had made a huge mistake. But Walter, of all people, was like "it's alright, guys, let's do this, we can beat her." He proceeded to get hit once and immediately needed to grab a butter muffin and run away to heal. The rest of us just tried to fight the Bee Queen and kept losing horribly. After a good 2 DST days of attempting to fight the Bee Queen and our Wickerbottom and Wortox dying, those of us alive were too low on health and sanity to continue, so we just aborted the mission. We let the Bee Queen return to her hive, and sought to reconvene. We had managed to heal somewhat and revive our ghostly friends, and at dusk, decided to wait at base until nighttime, so Walter could tell campfire stories to raise the sanity of the still-insane.  

But oh no, the game threw another problem onto our hands.

Hound wave! 

Even better? 

It was bound to be a hound wave at night, meaning we couldn't run away in a straight line and fight the hounds back at the same time (or we didn't really know how to), which just made things harder.

Oh, and another surprise! Our first ever hound wave with fire hounds.

I was the only person who knew what happens when you kill fire hounds, so I told my friends to keep the fire hounds alive. They asked why, and before I could finish my sentence, the base went up in flames. We killed the rest of the hounds, since it the area was now lit up as if it were day, and just watched the fire consume our work. The only things we could salvage were some charcoal and rocks.

Moral of the story? Do your research if you and your band of friends are newbies like we are. Also, since then, my Walter-main friend changed to a Woodie-main, and now "canada"s everything he finds. And by "canada" I mean he transforms into a moose and charges things, using our Wortox-main as his source of health. 

Archived