Game crashes in the main menu on Linux

Using Arch Linux on a very capable machine.

Even on the most recent version of the game (456020), the game regularly crashes in the main menu (title screen).
The crashes appear to happen when I press a button (such as "Browse Games" or "Options"), or when going back to the main menu (though it sometimes randomly crashes without my input)

Looking at the logs, nothing seems to suggest a crash. The final few lines are generally as follows:

[00:00:54]: Getting top mod details...
[00:00:54]: GOT top mod details...50
[00:00:56]: Frontend-Unloading mod 'all'.   

The "Frontend-Unloading mod 'all'." is what makes me think it's a problem with mods. It is almost always the final line before the logs end.

What strikes me as weird is that even disabling mods doesn't fix this. These messages still appear in the logs, and the game still crashes.

The good news is I can still play the game (mostly) uninterrupted. If I'm able to load into a game before it crashes, everything is perfectly stable - I've never had a crash while playing. Unfortunately, the game is likely to crash before I can join the world. It usually takes 3 or more restarts of the game before I can play. Pretty inconvenient.

I noticed that this issue seems to be a lot worse since either update 455744 or the March QOL update - I'm not sure which one would have caused problems, since they happened so close together. Before that, the crashes were occasional. Now they're very regular.

I can supply more detailed info or my full client log if needed.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:00 AM, AnthonyW said:

The good news is I can still play the game (mostly) uninterrupted. If I'm able to load into a game before it crashes

I have a very similar problem. Me too after a couple of restart I can manage to get the game ( after 3~4 re-start).

But when I disable "all mods" the problem does not happen again. The logs are not helping. I think It's actually 2 problems.

Sometime the game crash without the server starting , and sometime right after launch (I can differ the 2 in the rollback of the game seeing a new entry on the same day).

I am running unbuntu 20.04.2 LTS , and same on 20.10. Fresh install of 20.04 and DST.

Sometimes I get a core dump of ~404MB in

/home/<user>/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together/data

On 3/16/2021 at 3:00 AM, AnthonyW said:

I noticed that this issue seems to be a lot worse since either update 455744 or the March QOL update

I have notice that too, before the update  it would crash once , then the second time the game usually started. Now I have to restart the game 3 or 4 times.

I can provide log and core if needed.

Should log this in bug tracker ?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor / 32GB / Radeon RX 580
In core:

/data/src/public/runtime.cpp infinite time value <time value timesec something>

Assertion Failed : nDay > 0.Assertion Failed: nDay < 32.Bad flag in RTime32DateAdd.%02d/%02d/%02d.00:00:00.01/01/00.EDT.CST.CDT.MST.MDT.PST.PDT..Assertion Failed: !"Not implemented"....Assertion Failed: V_strlen( pchTime ) ==25.Assertion Failed:  ... and so on

Edited by Gault
Added question