Getting Don't Starve art PNGs?

Farlander

Hello,

I want to learn the art style so that I can do some mods and need reference art. Is there any way I can find the Don't Starve PNG's for things like vegetations, tools, creatures? Does someone have a collection of those willing to share?

Sorry for the newb-ish question and any help is much appreciated, thank you!

You actually already have the collection :D First, get a program called Textools, you can get it as part of Handsome Matt's tools:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/73-handsome-matts-tools/

!!! NOTA BENE: MAKE LABELLED BACKUPS OF EVERYTHING YOU EDIT IN A SEPARATE "SAFE" FOLDER !!!

Now, go to the install location of dont starve, in my case, it's C:/GAMES/Don't Starve. You will see a folder called "Data, open it, and in the "anim" folder, you will find a bunch of zips named after each object in the game, and inside the zips you will find a file called "atlas-0.tex".  Let's say we want to look at the Berry Bush textures,  so open berrybush.zip, and copy the  "atlas-0.tex" file inside.  paste it somewhere, I made a folder for these files inside the textools folder. You can open the .tex files directly with textools, but i recommend renaming them so you don't get them mixed up, since they all have the same name.   now when you have a tex open in textools, you have the option to save it as a .png, which you can then view and edit like any other png.

At this point, if you edited anything and want to put it in the game, you can turn it back into a tex by using the "TEXcreator" program.  then just name the tex back into  "atlas-0.tex", and paste it over the original.  Editing don't starve sprites is simple and fun, and you can combine existing textures to get more effects. To demonstrate, I made a quick edit to attach to this post, attached is a screenshot of a quick and rough edit of Walani where I changed her outfit to a seashell bikini and grass skirt, using other sprites from the game as the parts; even though I just whipped it up quickly, because of the simplicity of the system it actually looks pretty ok lol. Maybe I should upload a a small visual mod with a few of these reskins , since they are fun to make XD

island walani.png

I'm not sure your level of computer-fu, so If this seems tough and you want a specific png of something i could grab it for ya.  Give it a try though, its a simple process.  Oh, almost forgot ,the stuff from the DLCs have their own anim folders, in the data folder there are folders called dlc1, dlc2 etc.  those each have their own anim subfolders.  you have to paste your edits in each one if you wanna see em in the game lol.  you can also change the character portraits in the "bigportraits" folder.  Jump into the files, there's all sorts of stuff in there, just remember...

!!! NOTA BENE: MAKE LABELLED BACKUPS OF EVERYTHING YOU EDIT IN A SEPARATE "SAFE" FOLDER !!!

I'll also attach a png of the flowers tex as an example, and a png of Wigfrids default tex so you can see what the character tex sheets look like..

trop.png

flowers.png

wigfrid.png

EDIT:  here is a useful one with all the inventory art:

1838952704_inventoryimagesshipwrecked.thumb.png.03cd9b5dcb138293328a76eb11d97cd3.png

Edited by umberlolth
adding image OP might find useful

On 3/31/2021 at 9:30 PM, umberlolth said:

You actually already have the collection :D First, get a program called Textools, you can get it as part of Handsome Matt's tools:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/73-handsome-matts-tools/

Now, go to the install location of dont starve, in my case, it's C:/GAMES/Don't Starve. You will see a folder called "Data, open it, and in the "anim" folder, you will find a bunch of zips named after each object in the game, and inside the zips you will find a file called "atlas-0.tex".  Let's say we want to look at the Berry Bush textures,  so open berrybush.zip, and copy the  "atlas-0.tex" file inside.  paste it somewhere, I made a folder for these files inside the textools folder. You can open the .tex files directly with textools, but i recommend renaming them so you don't get them mixed up, since they all have the same name.   now when you have a tex open in textools, you have the option to save it as a .png, which you can then view and edit like any other png.

At this point, if you edited anything and want to put it in the game, you can turn it back into a tex by using the "TEXcreator" program.  then just name the tex back into  "atlas-0.tex", and paste it over the original.  Editing don't starve sprites is simple and fun, and you can combine existing textures to get more effects. To demonstrate, I made a quick edit to attach to this post, attached is a screenshot of a quick and rough edit of Walani where I changed her outfit to a seashell bikini and grass skirt, using other sprites from the game as the parts; even though I just whipped it up quickly, because of the simplicity of the system it actually looks pretty ok lol. Maybe I should upload a a small visual mod with a few of these reskins , since they are fun to make XD

island walani.png

I'm not sure your level of computer-fu, so If this seems tough and you want a specific png of something i could grab it for ya.  Give it a try though, its a simple process.  Oh, almost forgot ,the stuff from the DLCs have their own anim folders, in the data folder there are folders called dlc1, dlc2 etc.  those each have their own anim subfolders.  you have to paste your edits in each one if you wanna see em in the game lol.  you can also change the character portraits in the "bigportraits" folder.  Jump into the files, there's all sorts of stuff in there, just remember...

I'll also attach a png of the flowers tex as an example, and a png of Wigfrids default tex so you can see what the character tex sheets look like..

trop.png

flowers.png

wigfrid.png

EDIT:  here is a useful one with all the inventory art:

1838952704_inventoryimagesshipwrecked.thumb.png.03cd9b5dcb138293328a76eb11d97cd3.png

Oh wow! Thank you so much for it, even though it's been a year this will help out! :-D