"easy" multiplexing

So ever since the new automation stuff came out, i've been itching to build a proper multiplexer. It's been a bit challenging, but I found a solution that works. I tried to maximize the amount of new parts I used, but I skipped the timer, though it appears suited to this task. Primarily because I can't be sure if .1 seconds on that timer is actually one tick or not.

Below is the full multiplexer, 8 bits on a single signal line, with 3 bits for timing.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9359197958900957232a3fed7f925c6f.png

The inputs are up top, I labelled the bits 0-7 (or 1-8 if that helps you sleep better). Each bit controls the corresponding light below. All 8 bits are being transmitted synchronously in the ribbon's 4th slot. I also used separate ribbons for both the inputs and outputs; two input ribbons and two output ribbons.

The control clock is a 3-bit counter, and the pulse width of the least significant bit is one tick, which means the clock completes a full cycle every 8 ticks. For the middle bit I just use a counter set to 2, followed by a not gate (to add a tick delay), and for the largest bit I use two cascaded 2-counters. The least significant bit gets two ticks of delay... which for a one-tick counter is the same as no delay.

The output buffers are set to hold their output for .8 seconds to get a constant output.

The signal timing is important. Logically, from the perspective of the control signals, they experience delays as they are transmitted. Going through the first layer (the first two multiplexers (or signal selectors)) adds one tick of delay, the second layer (the top-right selector) adds a second tick of delay, the first distributor adds a third tick, and the final layer (the two on the bottom right) adds a fourth tick. Since the signal is one-tick wide at the shortest interval, I simply alternate adding not gates when appropriate to introduce the correct amount of delay. (Basically, delaying by two ticks is the same as doing nothing (at least for the least significant bit)).

Below are some closer looks at each section:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f632362e601d699c42b29d4f95b4bd91.png

image.thumb.png.1673e0a486e61a78ec11863a5e652819.png

image.thumb.png.a3f063fc88c18703eca64756ea9d5f97.png

Really enjoying the new automation stuff. Also, the new timer is pretty cool too.

Turns out for the timer, .1s is actually 1 tick. The below works exactly the same as a not-gate timer.
image.thumb.png.bb1108bbe7c2a3c2dc8368c9c31b128b.png

Archived