Potential performance improvements

I am looking through the decompiled source, as such I will not see the real code.  But, I notice there are several places that are using List<T> instead of more appropriate data structures, and these would absolutely begin to feel pressure under large colonies.  I would need guidance on how to invoke an actual profiler (unlikely with the release version of the code) to investigate further, but based on my experience optimizing .NET programs, I have some initial feedback that nobody asked for.

Examples:

ChoreTypes::GetByHash -> ChoreTypes are stored in List<T>, and GetByHash is using FindIndex (with a lambda even) to inspect each ChoreType.  This is an O(n^2) operation, and could be improved with a Dictionary<Hash, ChoreType> instead.  This seems to be called frequently as duplicants are choosing their next task.

GlobalCoreProvider::UpdateFetches is using List<T> for all the fetch chores and the candidate chores.  As these are treated as a bag before sorting, the data structure could be HashSet<T> for much faster Add/Remove behavior.  The UpdateFetches -> pathing could be done in parallel, and use bucketed priorities to reduce sort space.

As I'm poking through the decompiled sources, I'll update this topic with other suggestions.

Archived