Cave content in the overworld?

I know this is likely very low priority if considered ever at all, but.. We've seen a lot of advancements in how Klei handles things like houses in Hamlet, keeping everything in the same server but storing it out of the map so it feels like a separate place. Some workshop mods have introduced the same mechanic in DST, recreating houses or hamlet cave areas. I'd LOVE to see an update to caves so it's handled like that. I love caves, and I feel like you miss out on so much content without them enabled.. but my PC just can't handle it anymore. The lag is unbearable, with loading times taking forever and rubberbanding a huge issue.

Alternatively, a way to activate overworld cave content and have certain biomes recreated above so you can find the toad, ruins and at least have mobs like rock lobsters, bats.. That'd be fantastic. I haven't quite found a mod that does this without feeling invasive/messy when interacting with the rest of the world. I just really miss exploring the caves and would love to see it handled another way that doesn't involve trying to host two servers at once. 

Of course, they'd have to be much smaller which is why I think at least configuring some mobs/biomes to be in dedicated areas in the overworld might work as a compromise vs. generating an entire new server & map.

The idea to implement rooms much like the ones from hamlet could work but The rooms would have to be big enough for 6 players but this In mind can give us manny idea such as puzzle based dungeons that force players to work together, however houses in dst is a different story 

Very true! That's why I think maybe even compromising with a new biome or two would be better than having no caves at all. You could easily spawn bat caves in marshes, rock lobsters where meteors fall.. Things like that. It just hurts my soul to miss out on so much content! I used to love making a cave base to avoid the summer heat, but running two servers at once is just too much for people with older PCs.

The idea of puzzle based dungeons is fascinating, though! Grab some friends and hop in trying to avoid rooms that fill up with bats/snakes etc, avoid traps.. like an Indiana Jones styled adventure.

10 minutes ago, Breeziy said:

Very true! That's why I think maybe even compromising with a new biome or two would be better than having no caves at all. You could easily spawn bat caves in marshes, rock lobsters where meteors fall.. Things like that. It just hurts my soul to miss out on so much content! I used to love making a cave base to avoid the summer heat, but running two servers at once is just too much for people with older PCs.

The idea of puzzle based dungeons is fascinating, though! Grab some friends and hop in trying to avoid rooms that fill up with bats/snakes etc, avoid traps.. like an Indiana Jones styled adventure.

But what items would the players be rewarded with and what will be guarding it?

On 4/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, Mr0idealistic said:

But what items would the players be rewarded with and what will be guarding it?

As it turns out, a system like that already exists in hamlet dlc. I had no idea until recently, lol. It's implementation in DST isn't really the point of this thread, though. Specifically, I'd just love to see cave biomes generated in the overworld so I'm not locked out of content without enabling caves.

Archived