Game difficulty 'wishlist' (printer & apex predator)

My first suggestion is regarding the printer:

The 'problem': The printer can greatly trivialize or spike the difficulty depending on your choices. Smart resource management and slow dupe increase (low difficulty) stands in stark contrast to e.g. only printing dupes (arguably the highest difficulty). It would be awesome if there was a way to take some control away from the player while also giving a way to tweak the game difficulty in map selection.

My suggestion: I think it would be awesome if there were different printer modes - let me propose 2. The default setup would stay the same, but i would also add a mode that just spits out random resource packages and dupes to provide a bit more of a 'ultra difficult / survivial' mode. Adding one dupe every few cycles is manageable - being forced to accomodate more than one dupe might give more of a challenge while providing more resources than usual creates interesting opportunities to progress faster or differently through some stages of the game.
The second mode i would suggest is that the printer is acting 'defective' or like a 'garbadge disposal' unit and will - at random times - distribute a random gas, critter or fluid directly into the enviroment. The thought here would be to add a bit more 'spice' and force a bit more creative base construction and resource management than one usually would, while not going overboard.

My second suggestion is regarding creeps / critters / animals:

It would be cool if there way more variety and management involved. I would like to suggest some further interaction either between animals and dupes (e.g. more tame and dangerous variants) or interactions like a 'pseudo food chain' (think dungeon keeper spiders/flies) where some animals just shouldn't share the same habitat.

Also let me pack some of those tamed animals into the manual generator .. ^^

Archived