• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Extended Sample Character DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1

5 Screenshots

About This File

A character mod template for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together.

There are multiple versions.

V1.0.4 - Don't Starve and Don't Starve Reign of Giants

V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together

V1.3.1 - Don't Starve Shipwrecked

The full tutorial can be found here.

Features:

• Basic coding for a character mod
  • All sprites and symbols to build a character
  • Extended drawing areas for custom art
  • Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Don't Starve Together versions

This requires Don't Starve Mod Tools to autocompile .png files that are modified.
The .scml is built in a way that you can use Spriter (included with Don't Starve Mod Tools) to preview the changes you make. The .scml file is not intended to be changed itself, and changes may not correctly reflect how it appears in-game.
A folder of cleared sprites has been included to easily remove unwanted parts from your character.

Also on Github

What's New in Version DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1   See changelog

Released

DST Version

• Add skin modes
  • Stats and starting inventory moved to TUNING to be available on the character select screen
  • Add character survivability
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1
  • Health 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Can you post animation with a normal head, please? This character's head is deformed, her eye level is too low making hats look like they are levitating above the head, there is part of the head of the back missing, so side view is really hurting. Its really frustrating having to use a template that is not default

Also is there a way to decompile existing anim builds to retrieve all the png files used to animate?

To decompile, please google ktools. 

And for the head, just make it bigger can you ? You can try decompile Webber or Wilson and copy the size of the head. Agree that the head of this sample character is a bit small tho. 

On 3.12.2018 at 6:00 AM, renetta96 said:

To decompile, please google ktools. 

It does not work sadly

this is so to do cool but I'm following the tutorial but I keep getting confused because I'm doing the Don't Starve Together version

I am struggling with an error that crashes my game every time I load a world with the modified character. If I just use the character template as is than it is fine.

Every time i look into the log after crash i see the same 2 things

...amapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua:522: could not spawn player character
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C]:-1 in (global) assert (C) <-1--1>

[00:01:25]: scripts/frontend.lua(773,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen

But it doesn't show an error screen it just closes the window.

If somebody could help me get past this issue that would be nice. :)

I'm trying to make my character's damage go up when his sanity goes down. my current code for that is:

-- Damage multiplier (optional)
        if inst.components.sanity.current <=31 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5

elseif inst.components.sanity.current <=11 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 2

end

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks for the continued support of this project.  You've really helped out a lot of modders make their characters a reality.

Hi, is this available for DS (vanilla)? 
I REALLY want to make some character Mods but sadly I obviously don't have DST. 

Never mind, I just realized its for almost all DLC's. XD 

When I try to upload my modded character into the workshop using this base it does not show up in the list of mods in the DST server startup. I also tried adding the character directly to my mod folder to see if that would help and it still did not show. I then tried adding the original unedited file to my mods and that did not show in my games list of mods either. Please do help.

Edited by GutterFish

On 11/16/2014 at 6:26 AM, Mobbstar said:

So you didn't bother with wings?

Ravencrow is sad now...

well unless klei entertainment makes a winged character or u figure a way to get wings, then u can't get one because the tail is from Wortox, so again like Wortox, a character might need wings is what i figure, unless im wrong xd

HEYA I never tried a mod before so which is don't starve together ? Im gonna guess its dst but incase let me know someone cause like i said, I never tried a mod before ;w;

does anyone know where i can get the character_none files for the bigportraits folder? they don't appear in my folder qwq

Hi guys, I tried following through with this tutorial and I get an error. Just wondering if anyone else has run across the same error, or if you know of how to fix it. Cheers.

So it can't find the bigportraits/noxy.xml (shown)
but its in the mod file (shown) and all i did was the find-replace character name instances and renamed the file.. i have not altered the file in any way other than that.

dontstarve_error.png

dontstarve_error2.png

hi when i download the mod and put it in dst mods folder the game crashes just after starting a world. pls help

On 3/16/2020 at 6:00 PM, FableHaven005 said:

I'm trying to make my character's damage go up when his sanity goes down. my current code for that is:

-- Damage multiplier (optional)
        if inst.components.sanity.current <=31 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5

elseif inst.components.sanity.current <=11 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 2

end

Am I doing something wrong? 

i think the elseif is the problem (it has no space)

How did i get this mod even tho i did not install it??? It happend to me once with other mod. Am i a target all of the sudden???

Edited by YoshiFanFarmer

I can't seem to make the custom speech work, I've edited the speech_[name here].lua file found in scripts countless times, as well using the new speech.lua from the games actual files and it still refuses

Is there anything you might suggest to make the default Wilson speech be custom?

On 11/10/2014 at 2:36 AM, Dryicefox said:

When generating the world, an error pops up and does not load. I don't know what to do with all the files in place and everywhere the character's name is.
tell me what to do?
an error occurs during server startup asking to repeat

I'm unable to get this sample character to show up in the character select screen, with no changes made. My current setup:

• Game: Don't Starve Together, Windows
  • Mod version: V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together
  • Mod folder expanded, and the "extended sample character-DST" folder is the one pasted in the "Don't Starve Together/mods" steam folder.
  • Launching the game performs the compilation as expected.
  • Mods > Server Mods shows a "Extended Sample Chara..." entry, and the star in its cartouche is highlighted (assume that means enabled)
  • Hosting a new game doesn't show the character for selection.

What am I doing wrong? Sorry if I missed something obvious, and thanks for any help

1 hour ago, Ruskibloo said:

I'm unable to get this sample character to show up in the character select screen, with no changes made. My current setup:

• Game: Don't Starve Together, Windows
  • Mod version: V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together
  • Mod folder expanded, and the "extended sample character-DST" folder is the one pasted in the "Don't Starve Together/mods" steam folder.
  • Launching the game performs the compilation as expected.
  • Mods > Server Mods shows a "Extended Sample Chara..." entry, and the star in its cartouche is highlighted (assume that means enabled)
  • Hosting a new game doesn't show the character for selection.

What am I doing wrong? Sorry if I missed something obvious, and thanks for any help

Ah, server mods are enabled during the game creation stage, not the main menu... newbie mistake, sorry!