Hydrogen Generator: What I think the problem is, and how I'd fix it

So from what I've seen playing the game hydrogen generators only function if they're actively receiving an intake. The generators internal storage could be completely full of hydrogen and not working because it's not currently having more sent to it. I assume this has something to do with how intake devices work, where If they're receiving the correct intake, then they're functioning.

What I would do if this is the case would be to split the hydrogen generators function from the intakes function, Basically make it so that the intake isn't related to the operation of the generator, Make it so that if it's receiving the correct intake then it's incrementing the generators storage, then make the generator check to see if it's storage has something inside of it to decide whether it's operating or not and then decrement the storage while it is operating and cease operation if the storage becomes empty again.

I believe you're on to something with the intake (and consequently the generator) there.

I've noticed it with the Gas Pump but also other devices like the Air Deodorizer. The problem - as I see it - though appears to be that intake for such devices only happens in one specific "square" of air (at least from what I witness) and once the Hydrogen or Toxic Air has been sucked off this square the device "pauses" until the gas from the next square has "moved over" into that very specific one the device is drawing from, leading to pauses / disruptions in intake.

Your suggestion would actually work around that. Another way - to include the other devices suffering from this problem as well - might be to make intake generally more of a radius for gas/air based machines. Say every square directly around the machine rather than just one very particular one?! This would spread things out a bit, giving the gas (or Toxic Air) enough time to "move in again" in squares the machine just "emptied".

Which doesn't mean an internal storage like your proposing wouldn't still be a good idea regardless. It could work in a similiar fashion to batteries storing energy, for example. :)

i have tried cooling the hydrogen down via 2 coolers to try and make the gas more concentrated before it goes into the generator to try and counteract the lack of pumping works better but requires a lot more power to run the coolers, there was a bug where gas filters and water filters would destroy some of the mass filtered through them but im not sure if that has been patched yet.

gas pipeline.png

Archived