Player authored 'adventure mode' maps

I logged onto a public server a couple of days ago and they had done something really quite cool. They had created a sort of obstacle course/challenge starting from the entry point. This made me think of how cool it might be if there were a mode that allowed players to design challenges "adventure modes" that other players can load and play.

This idea is indeed an interesting one, however, it is essentially one of the purposes that modding fills in DST.  Modding is an integrated part of the game and mods download automatically when joining a server that uses them.  So I honestly feel this would be the best route to achieve this suggestion.

As a bit of additional explanation behind my viewpoint, to really integrate a player created adventure mode concept well, they would need to integrate a map editing system into the game.  This could be done as an external editor, for sure, but currently Tiled is used for set pieces, and Spriter is used for art content (at least mod content), rather than in-house tools.

Great idea for a mod though.  Could make for rather interesting mini-game servers.

I love the idea of this. DST lacks a win condition, and without achievements, it's left to players to make up goals (but don't get me wrong, I do really love this game). I've been looking into adventure mode stuff for quite some time, but my coding skills leave a lot to be desired, so I've been settling for mods like the teleportato one and making challenge worlds that my friends and I try to escape, as I also gathered other mods that make it get much harder over time. 

What I'd really like to see is both the ability to make custom maps and customize how the teleportato pieces are given to players. The limits to this are essentially non-existent.

This could force players to be exposed to new things in the game (I've never been to the ruins before, despite playing for almost 200 hours), or could integrate mods like the Hunt and Starving Floor, which introduce new game modes, as one of the worlds in the campaign. Teleportato pieces could be spawned only after certain conditions (surviving X days, killing whatever, building something, and in the case of Starving Floor, you'd have to use your money to buy them) or found in the world like normal. 

I imagine this like the custom campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2 (which may be the reason I still play that game frequently). You download the campaign, select it as a preset or the game mode, and it does the rest for you, but also allows other mods that customize the experience to be included (though I understand that this is where it might get messy). The whole idea could be called Charlie's Trials or something, so it can still fit into the story. Campaigns could always end with the characters being thrown back into the wilderness anyway. Once the official infrastructure is there, you can just let the community handle the rest. I think the modding community is at the point where this is possible, but very few people know how to do it, and having official infrastructure for how the files get incorporated into the game would make things run smoother (errors are very common when using many of the worldgen mods).

Archived