Run dedicated server in Docker

Detailed install process for newbies

(It's better you have some idea for terminal. )

1. Install Docker: visit https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/ and find instructions for your OS.

(I recommend using Linux if you have one, because on Windows and OS X docker use a virtual machine mechanism which will have a slight impact to performance. Still, it works on my OS X. )

2. If you are on Linux, ignore this step. 

If you are on OS X, open "Terminal.app" and type:

docker-machine start defaulteval "$(docker-machine env default)"

The two lines starts up Docker. 

Sorry I haven't tested for Windows. 

3. Use docker compose to configure the server

`cd` to a specific folder you want your config files to put in. Create a file named `docker-compose.yml`.

If you are not familiar to console just do the following instruction:

mkdir ~/dst_servercd ~/dst_servervim docker-compose.yml# then press key `i` on your keyboard

Copy and paste EXACTLY the following content to Terminal window (all indentations must be correct for a yml file)

server:  image: jamesits/don-t-starve-together-dedicated-server:latest  restart: always  ports:  - 10999:10999/udp  volumes:  - ./server_config:/data/DoNotStarveTogether

then press the key sequence one by one: 

<Esc> : w q ! <Enter>

After that, run:

docker-compose up

You should see something like this:

$ docker-compose upPulling server (jamesits/don-t-starve-together-dedicated-server:latest)...latest: Pulling from jamesits/don-t-starve-together-dedicated-servere744cc519944: Pull completea77dbcd61efe: Pull complete88e62007ac7a: Pull complete3d2e0b056f6f: Pull completeb609deef3eef: Pull complete143180431184: Pull complete4df3dcb39bd2: Pull completeDigest: sha256:916ad745451fb5d1e071cfab4cf911b8daef0dea9c0ed9ba79f1d6fab3792ad6Status: Downloaded newer image for jamesits/don-t-starve-together-dedicated-server:latestCreating dst_server_1Attaching to dst_server_1server_1 | Starting Upserver_1 | Version: 158557server_1 | Current time: Tue Dec  8 01:13:43 2015server_1 |server_1 | System Name: Linuxserver_1 | Host Name: d5997941bfb0server_1 | Release(Kernel) Version: 4.1.13-boot2dockerserver_1 | Kernel Build Timestamp: #1 SMP Fri Nov 20 19:05:50 UTC 2015server_1 | Machine Arch: x86_64server_1 | Don't Starve Together: 158557 LINUXserver_1 | NNN Build Date: 2015-12-01_11-18-46server_1 | Parsing command lineserver_1 | Command Line Arguments: -port 10999 -persistent_storage_root /data startserver_1 | THREAD - started 'GAClient' (4136844096)server_1 | HttpClient2::ClientThread::Main()server_1 | ProfileIndex:6.01server_1 | create "/data/DoNotStarveTogether/save"server_1 | create "/data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/mod_config_data"server_1 | create "/data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/server_temp"server_1 | create "/data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/client_temp"server_1 | create "/data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/session"server_1 | [CONNECT] PendingConnection::Reset(true)server_1 | Network tick rate: U=15(2), D=0server_1 | Network tick rate: U=15(2), D=0server_1 | OnLoadPermissionList: /data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/blocklist.txt (Failure)server_1 | OnLoadPermissionList: /data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/adminlist.txt (Failure)server_1 | OnLoadUserIdList: /data/DoNotStarveTogether/save/whitelist.txt (Failure)server_1 | Server token retrieved from: server_token.txtserver_1 | cGame::InitializeOnMainThreadserver_1 | Renderer initialize: Okayserver_1 | AnimManager initialize: Okayserver_1 | Buffers initialize: Okayserver_1 | cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()server_1 | FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.server_1 | GameSpecific initialize: Okayserver_1 | cGame::StartPlayingserver_1 | LOADING LUAserver_1 | DoLuaFile scripts/main.luaserver_1 | DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.luaserver_1 | scripts/main.lua(171,1) running main.luaserver_1 |server_1 | Could not load modindexserver_1 | ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.server_1 |server_1 | DownloadMods(0)server_1 | FMOD Error: An invalid object handle was used.server_1 | LOADING LUA SUCCESSserver_1 | PlayerDeaths could not load morgueserver_1 | PlayerHistory could not load player_historyserver_1 | could not load profileserver_1 | loaded profileserver_1 | bloom_enabled	falseserver_1 | Could not load saveindexserver_1 | OnFilesLoaded()server_1 | OnUpdatePurchaseStateCompleteserver_1 | 	Load FEserver_1 | 	Load FE: doneserver_1 | ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.server_1 | Reset() returningserver_1 | [200] Account Failed (6): "E_INVALID_TOKEN"server_1 | !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!server_1 | !!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!!server_1 | !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!server_1 | No auth token could be found.server_1 | To generate a server_token you mustserver_1 | open the console from a logged-in gameserver_1 | client with the tilda key (~) and type:server_1 | TheNet:GenerateServerToken()server_1 | This will create 'server_token.txt' inserver_1 | your client settings directory. Copy thisserver_1 | into your server settings directory.server_1 | [CONNECT] PendingConnection::Reset(true)

When you see this, press Control+C to stop server and finish any config in `~/dst_server`. (On OS X, just type `open .` in Terminal.app to access it. )

I too created a docker image for running DST with caves support

You can find the image on dockerhub

I wrote up a ton of instructions on my github

For the dl;tr:

1. Create a volume to store settings.ini and server_token.txt
  2. sudo docker run -dit --name="dst" -p 10999:10999 -v <host_volume_location>:/home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether ryshe/dst

Cheers!

I too created a docker image for running DST with caves support

You can find the image on dockerhub

I wrote up a ton of instructions on my github

For the dl;tr:

1. Create a volume to store settings.ini and server_token.txt
  2. sudo docker run -dit --name="dst" -p 10999:10999 -v <host_volume_location>:/home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether ryshe/dst

Cheers!

step 2 should be:

sudo docker run -dit --name="dst" -p 10999:10999/udp -v <host_volume_location>:/home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether ryshe/dst

where <host_volume_location> is wherever on the host machine you're persisting your data.

I'm pretty sure the mods volume will work, but it is under tested.

Updating is supported by just restarting the server(s):

gracefully shutdown the server by first attaching to it:

sudo docker attach dst

send the shutdown command:

c_shutdown()

at this point the container should have stopped.  now we can just restart it with:

sudo docker restart dst

If you're running caves you'll need to do the same on the caves server

step 2 should be:

sudo docker run -dit --name="dst" -p 10999:10999/udp -v <host_volume_location>:/home/steam/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether ryshe/dst

where <host_volume_location> is wherever on the host machine you're persisting your data.

I'm pretty sure the mods volume will work, but it is under tested.

Updating is supported by just restarting the server(s):

gracefully shutdown the server by first attaching to it:

sudo docker attach dst

send the shutdown command:

c_shutdown()

at this point the container should have stopped.  now we can just restart it with:

sudo docker restart dst

If you're running caves you'll need to do the same on the caves server

You can use docker-compose to automate this action (and start both servers in one command too). Try my version: https://github.com/Jamesits/Don-t-Starve-Together-Dedicated-Server#install-using-docker-compose

Also, it seems that pressing Ctrl+C works the same as c_shutdown?

You can use docker-compose to automate this action (and start both servers in one command too). Try my version: https://github.com/Jamesits/Don-t-Starve-Together-Dedicated-Server#install-using-docker-compose

Also, it seems that pressing Ctrl+C works the same as c_shutdown?

@Jamesits I updated my github with a docker-compose.yml.  It's in the the config folder.  I am worried about the reattachment steps working when running from docker-compose.  I couldn't seem to do it when I was testing.  It is a required step so that you can execute the c_regenerateworld().  Otherwise there will not be cave entrances!

I also rewrote the readme file.  Lots of new instructions!  They really need to be tested, if anyone feels so compelled.

I don't think Ctrl+C is the same as c_shutdown().  Ctrl+C will cause the server to quit, but it's not gracefully shutting down the server.  I could be wrong, but I think c_shutdown() will execute a save before closing out.

@Jamesits I updated my github with a docker-compose.yml.  It's in the the config folder.  I am worried about the reattachment steps working when running from docker-compose.  I couldn't seem to do it when I was testing.  It is a required step so that you can execute the c_regenerateworld().  Otherwise there will not be cave entrances!

I also rewrote the readme file.  Lots of new instructions!  They really need to be tested, if anyone feels so compelled.

I don't think Ctrl+C is the same as c_shutdown().  Ctrl+C will cause the server to quit, but it's not gracefully shutting down the server.  I could be wrong, but I think c_shutdown() will execute a save before closing out.

When I press Ctrl+C I can see the logs: 

^CGracefully stopping... (press Ctrl+C again to force)Stopping dst_server_1 ... donedst_server_1 exited with code 137

But there are no evidence that server performed a save after Ctrl+C. Maybe we can let entrypoint shell script capture SIGINT and quit server? I haven't tried that but I believe it's possible. 

Since caves are still in its beta testing stage, I am not considering supporting it now. 

Hey!

Set "stdin_open: true" and "tty: true" in the docker-compose.yml to make attaching work correctly.

Archived