Crafting menu

While I think this game has good challenges, excellent art and is fun to play, I've found myself fighting with the crafting menu more than I'd like. It has a few problems I'd like to touch on.

It provides little information about what each item does. Makes wiki important if you need to know how things are in relation to each other. Numerical stats are not needed, but some gauge of how good an item is and what it even does would be helpful.

Items you cannot craft show as a black silhouette. When everything is black, learning the layout takes way longer than with visual identifiers. I repeatedly go up and down lists, searching for that item I know I saw, but can't find again, and then the day is over.

You can only see what you can prototype while next to a science/alchemy/etc machine, making wiki visits frequent, when I'd rather have the info in-game. Hide recipes until science machine has been built to prevent a new player from being overwhelmed, but don't hide them again after you leave it. This one just adds to the previous point about difficulty of learning layout.

Navigating menus are somewhat clunky and requires too many clicks imho. Mousewheel to scroll would help a lot.  A few other ideas I don't know whether are feasable or not:

• Grid display.
  • Being able to craft refined items like Rope from Logsuit/Spear/Etc.
  • Filters for usage. (Sanity, Protection, Warmth, Cold, Etc)

When almost everything in the game relates to an item in some form, it would be helpful if inventory management and crafting was more informative and helpful, instead of seemingly secretive and purposefully convoluted. It just leads to learning things through the wiki instead. Not the way I enjoy learning my games.

Please at least think about it.

Archived