Volcanic Haze/Ash

I like that there's volcanic haze when the eruptions begin, and I understand that low visibility is meant to be difficult, but there are some serious issues with the haze.

1. Shadow creatures are camouflaged by the haze. If this is an intentional feature, then it just feels really bad.

Stealth Shadow Creature

2. The haze combined with low sanity distortion and other screen effects makes it hard to see the meteor strike location. The meteors themselves are relatively easy to dodge most of the time, but sometimes it feels like they strike quicker when visibility is low (which I don't think is actually the case). I'm close to my second summer and this especially is making me really nervous.

-

I think it's pretty apparent that most players who have reached/finished summer think the volcanoes are pretty ridiculous and need some toning down.

Other players have made suggestions already, so in order to prevent spam and add to this topic, I'll leave some of my own here since it's a related topic anyway.

1. Increase the visibility of meteor strikes.

2. Increase the time it takes for the meteor to land.

3. Reduce the damage of meteors to ~75 damage (like some giants in RoG). The game is not meant to be extremely realistic so any damage value that doesn't overkill you is fine, actually.

4. Change the meteors to a burning effect instead of the destruction effect. Right now, you can't even efficiently cool off during eruptions because your endothermic fire gets destroyed. Since fire pits are immune to smouldering, this actually makes a minimalistic summer base viable.

5. To address the shortage of rock-type resources, let the meteors leave boulders/magma piles on chance.

I'm preparing to go nomad with amulets and the like this time around, but I just don't find it fun to spend a majority of the season playing dodgeball.

Archived