Stuck in a 'Black Hole' crash loop: DirectoryNotFoundException & Workshop fails to update

Thundercraft
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

image.thumb.jpeg.d1db4d6d66eed4fe9003a708ec3a7972.jpeg

Last night I tried testing the code for a mod I compiled from GitHub in my \Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\local\ folder. When the game started I was inundated with countless error messages about all my Workshop mods. I don't have a screenshot of this, but it said something about each mod being "uninstalled" and, finally, it spat some error about 'disk access' or being unable to find something. It ended in a perpetual crash-loop because as soon as clicked the button to [Restart], it would repeat the same errors and prompt me to Restart again.

The only way I found to stop this vicious cycle was to use [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] for the Program Manager and manually terminating the process. As part of a process of elimination, I deleted the only other \mods\local\ mod I had. Next, I did something (in hindsight) I really probably shouldn't have: I deleted all the contents the \(Steam)\steamapps\workshop\content\457140\ location and the \Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\Steam\ locations (where the Workshop downloads my subscriptions).

Then I visited the ONI Steam Workshop page. Under "Your Workshop Files", on the "Your Files" menu, I scrolled down and clicked "My Subscriptions". Finally, I clicked on the "Unsubscribe From All" link. This temporarily "fixed" things so I could actually restart ONI without all those errors.

However, today I tried to re-subscribe to a few Workshop mods. But this resulted in a big error on restart. Originally, it showed this error:

"Oops-a-daisy! We're sorry, but it seems your game has encountered an error. If you uncheck all of the mods below, we will be able to help the next time this happens. Any mods that could be related to this error have already been unchecked."

The only mod below this message was the only mod I still had installed (besides 2 or 3 Workshop mods I re-subscribed to) - the mod in my \mods\local\ folder that I had tried to test the previous night. However, despite what the message said about "...have already been unchecked", it was still left with a checkmark. So, I unchecked it. After that and restarting, I was greeted with the Black Hole error as seen in the screenshot. BTW: If I click on the [More Info] button, I get an error report that starts with this,

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "E:\GAME (Steam)\steamapps\workshop\content\457140\2018291283\2001317618114340568_legacy.bin".

After this, I tried removing that experimental mod in my \mods\local\ folder. But even so: As long as I have even 1 mod Subscribed to on the Workshop, I end up greeted with that Black Hole error on restart.

Thing is, I even tried going through the Steam Client : Right clicking on Oxygen Not Included > selecting "Properties" > clicking on the "Local Files" tab and clicking the "Verify the integrity of my files..." option. It verified my files, but it did not download or replace any. And I'm still stuck with this "Black Hole" error as long as I have even 1 Workshop mod subscribed.

I'm pretty much at a loss on what else I can try. Currently, I am unable to play the game with even 1 mod installed. So, I am strongly tempted to completely uninstall the game and reinstalling to see if that fixes this. That, or I may end up trying to delete my game profile files or maybe search for all files on my PC with "Klei" or "457140" in the name. I can't just reinstall Steam because that would ruin all my game data and game profiles for my other Steam games.

Steps to Reproduce

My circumstances are rather unique, so I don't know how to reproduce my situation exactly. It's not like I can just upload a game save to test this error. All I can tell you is that the game complains about a "DirectoryNotFoundException" error and it, apparently, can't find the path of my workshop mod(s), even after unsubscribing and re-subscribing and even after reducing my subscriptions to just 1 mod. (I tried only subscribing to the "Mod Updater" mod, if that helps.)

Currently, with just 1 mod subscribed, it crashes to the desktop. And when I restart the game, I get the same error.

Player log is below.

User Feedback

Hi Thundercraft,

I don't know if you resolved this issue, but I was encountering the same problem.

I managed to fix my game, including workshop mod support, by uninstalling the game, deleting my "Klei" folder in User > Documents, then reinstalling the game.

I think there was a lingering conflict somehow that persistent in those files, probably from when I was trying to create my own local mod.

Hope this helps you!

Share this comment