Strange stuttering and lag when a video is paused in a browser on another monitor

glek_tarssza
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

While playing the game with Microsoft Edge running on a separate monitor I noticed a very odd stuttering in the game after I paused the video. The framerate itself seemed to have dropped to 15 frames per second (approximately). I resumed the video and the framerate returned to the normal, smooth 60 I'm used to.

Attached is a screen capture of the issue showing how pausing a video in Microsoft Edge or letting the browser window go to the background (thus stopping the video rendering) causes a very odd stuttering effect.

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Load the game.
  2. Load any existing map or start a new one.
  3. With the game paused open a browser window and open a video on YouTube.
  4. With the video playing resume the game.
    1. Observe normal framerates.
  5. Pause the video.
    1. Observe stuttering framerates after a few moments of delay.
  6. Resume the video.
    1. Observe framerate recovers.
  7. Put the browser window into the background or minimize it.
    1. Observe the framerate drops

User Feedback

Out of curiosity I decided to try disabling hardware acceleration in Microsoft Edge. The issue stops manifesting with hardware acceleration in my browser is disabled and reappears when I turn it back on.

Share this comment

After a round of testing I have confirmed that Oxygen Not Included is the only application or game that suffers this strange performance degradation on my system. Curiously enough I have another program called VoiceMeeter Potato on my system that locks up when Oxygen Not Included is loading, either to the main menu or into a save game.

Share this comment

I think I've found the source of the issue. It appears to be related to having G-SYNC set to "Enable for windowed and full screen mode". Setting it back to "Enable for full screen mode" causes the issue to go away completely. This is likely not something that can be fixed by Klei directly. Closing this bug as such.

Share this comment

I have noticed a similar "bug" in Windows on both Vanilla and DLC.
I updated my gpu drivers and suddenly I had the exact same problem as you describe but I noticed it when running OBS. If I have OBS non minimized I get that "stutter", if I have my browser (firefox) open its also noticeable (but less, having a video, ie youtube or similar makes it worse), minimizing all windows removes the stutter. This is obviously a problem for me as a streamer that want certain windows open on another monitor. I also have to have my firefox set to disabled on hardware acceleration or OBS cant capture from it so I haven't played around with it.
Thinking about reverting back to old gpu drivers but this HAS to be a conflict with ONI and new drivers.

Share this comment