Rounding Error with rocket distance

ElectricStingray
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

There seems to be a possible rounding error with rocket distance, where it gets stranded just short of where it should be able to go. The save below should be able to recreate the issue.

unknown.png

Happens after attempting to go to this tile, stop, and return.

unknown.png

Possible explanation from someone on discord:

image.thumb.png.6a5861c98024b0ba30398bb12e389e1a.png

image.thumb.png.7c7dd07d24629f6b0ae43e3e2bd09449.png

image.png.59f8cc1a36b648be1d31f8dd274b8621.png

This is a pretty big issue as now to get to that asteroid (which I have not scanned yet, I have to send a telescope out), I have to make a one way trip there, despite not knowing its there and also not being able to land and it not being possible to put a trailblazer on there, because the modules are already taken up.

EDIT: they said that adding .01 seconds to rocket flight time would solve it, possibly confirming the rounding error.

US SPACE FORCE.sav

Steps to Reproduce

1. Send the rocket waiting on the launch pad on the main asteroid to the empty hex circled--alternatively, set the destination there, it will warn you that there is not enough fuel for a round trip, though I understand that the orbit should be a free tile. When it gets to that hex, it should still say 2 tiles remaining, indicating that return is possible.

unknown.png

2. Wait for it to get there, then return the rocket back to the asteroid in the same path

3. Despite having enough range, the rocket will get stranded one tile short of the asteroid, and will be stuck there

User Feedback

Turns out that asteroid is unreachable with the current rounding error because thats 4 tiles away. If there was a platform i think it would be reachable but since you have to go into orbit first, you cannot get there.

Nope not reachable with a launch pad either

Edited by ElectricStingray

Share this comment