research screen is freezing my game

MichaelaB
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Pending

When I first start up the game, I can go to do research just fine, but after a few minutes if I go to where you can select what you want to research, my game freezes and I have to force quit. I played the game for a few hours without any problems, but went to research to see if it would freeze and it did. (picture of the screen Im talking about incase it wasn't clear)

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.49.47 AM.png

Steps to Reproduce

1. wait a few minutes

2. click on a research machine, and open the research menu

3. computer freezes

User Feedback

I don't experience the game freezing completly when I open the research screen. It freezes for about 2-3 sec. 

Share this comment

I have the exact same issue, open at start no problems, open later on complete freeze with sounds and if I interact with the frozen UI it will respond with the correct audio, but visuals do not update.

I am able to switch to my main desktop and barely use my laptop when this happens, however it is barely functional.  I got into activity monitor and do not see anything wild. Game is using 5.83 gb and 13-18% CPU (normally 150-200%). System isn't maxed out and if I wait long enough I can open other apps like chrome, etc.

I just restarted my game with steam in offline mode and all other apps closed. As of right now research is opening fine.  Will play for a bit and post an update.

Share this comment

The changes I made didn't seem to impact anything. I'm on a MBP 13" from mid 2014 with 8gb ram. I know it's not the greatest thing for games, but it is what I have. My current game is 185 days in, but I don't really think that matters too much. What else I have learned so far:

If I open research multiple times during the first few minutes of play, there are no problems at all. 

After some period of time (at least an overnight cycle) research will immediately "crash" the game upon opening. Completing one cycle alone and opening research isn't always enough for the crash to happen.

Entire compute seems impacted by this, but activity monitor doesn't provide any direct reason why the computer should be tanked short of it maybe swapping memory?

Share this comment

I've also experienced this, and continue to even after the recent update that tried to address it.

I played for around two hours before having to quit the game, as the research screen became laggier and

laggier until, finally, I could not get back out of it.   This makes the game utterly unplayable.   

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 427.140.8.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.29f24

Share this comment

Exactly the same thing happens to me. Each time I open the research, the game freezes in it but the sound goes on as if it did not. 

Please fix it. It sucks all the joy of playing the game and I was even considering refunding it on steam because of it. 

Share this comment