Certain "care packages" from the Printer Pod refuse to print on some in-game asteroids.
The main "rule of thumb" I've found: if a resource or seed has not yet been uncovered or obtained on an asteroid, any attempt to "print" a corresponding care package will be redirected to a different asteroid that has obtained that resource. There is no warning that this will occur. Pre-cooked food, dupes, and critter eggs do not appear to be redirected.
Here's a recent case. One of my four offerings from the Printing Pod was a single Wort Seed.
Asteroid 1: has obtained Wort Seeds
Note: Wort Seed - 1 unit.
Asteroid 2: has not obtained Wort Seeds
After taking that screenshot, I then used Asteroid 2's Porta-Pod to print the Wort Seed care package. (Apologies; I forgot to screenshot that part.) Results:
Still no Wort Seeds! But, on the other asteroid...
Now there are two! But I didn't ask to print it here!
IF this is intentional behavior, then I still consider this to be a bug - in particular, a UI bug. The UI should not allow users to think that the care package will be printed here (on Asteroid 2, which has never seen a Wort Seed). It would be kinda reasonable if this is just a UI bug, as rockets are the intended 'import' pathway, even if I'd prefer not to have the restriction.
My suggestion: the care package should be greyed out on worlds that cannot print the package. Consider the use of alt-text to indicate that this asteroid/Porta-Pod is not allowed to print it, but others are able. Perhaps the alt-text could even list the worlds with permission?
- Achieve a multi-asteroid base.
- Ensure a Porta-Pod has been built and activated on Asteroid 2.
- Wait for the "New Printables are available" notification.
- Save your game.
- Save-scum until you are offered a resource or a seed that has never been accessed by a Duplicant on one of the asteroids. (It may exist on the map if it has never been dug up!)
- Attempt to 'print' the care package on the world that has never had access to that resource.