Crash to Desktop

tosborne
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hello, I am avid player and just built a new computer. I have run my computer through everything I can to verify that the hardware and drivers are all up-to-date and working correctly. After 10-30 minutes of gameplay on my existing save (cloud save cycle ~1200) it crashes to desktop. I have looked into the windows event viewer and monitored my hardware performance during these crashes and discovered nothing. I do not have an error log but I do have a SimDLL crash dump. I am providing the player.log, DxDiag, save file, and the crash dump. No action seems required to cause the crash. I simply let the game run. I have also tried 3 different graphics drivers, but it did not make a difference.

If you could take a look, I would greatly appreciate it.

Before I went to dinner.sav DxDiag.txt Player.log SimDLL_CRASH_release_583750_20231211-21.30.12.dmp

Steps to Reproduce

1. Load game
2. Let game run for 10-30 minutes
3. Crash to desktop

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hello, I have some additional findings. Not sure if they are useful, but figured it couldnt hurt.

I downloaded x64dbg and tried to debug ONI. What I found was that I encountered an error related to temperature. It appeared to be failing on a check comparing the "final_temperature" against the "sim_max_temperature". This exception repeated until crash and I wasnt able to get it to continue past this loop. Anecdotally, I did have a random "heat burst" in the game I couldnt readily explain. It was probably just hot rocks though.

I tried this save against my laptop which is pretty underpowered but the issue doesnt reproduce there.

Installing different graphics driver versions did not fix the problem. 3 different versions, one of which was an entire major version downgrade, but it didnt make a difference.

Since it didnt reproduce on my laptop I have begun to suspect it may be specific to my hardware (it is new), but it seems to have passed any kind of test I throw against it. (Furmark, 3dmark, prime95, various memtests).

I think I'll try swapping some hardware and see what happens. If you have any findings or need more info from me I will be monitoring this thread.

Share this comment

The issue is occurring occasionally when the aqua tuner being used to create liquid hydrogen emits super coolant at or near 0°k (issue actually occurs at the first heat exchanger on the output line from that aquatuner, but the 0°k temperature being set in the heat exchanger is the source of the issue). A fix is being tested and will hopefully ship in the first update next year.

• Like 3

Share this comment