Shove Vole get stuck inside metal tiles

GDP
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

tl;dr - Shove vole can dig horizontally inside metal tiles when burried under regolith poop from another shove vole - the shove vole thus gets stuck inside the metal tile, cannot move and doesn't die.

I have a shove vole breeder farm design I'm pretty happy about (especially since it doesn't depend on conveyor belt, great for FPS)

THis enables me to boost the amount of shove voles in the farm. However, when the shove vole count reaches 9+, I have realized that shove vole get stuck in metal tiles (while they are not supposed to be in metal tiles as they cannot dig through)

I attached a screenshot where I attacked the shove voles to show where they are. 

I couldn't witness this happening, but I suspect that when a regolith block is pooped by a shove vole on top of another one, should this happen close to a wall (on my case, wall on the right side), the buried shove vole can then bury inside a metal tile

So I think what is happening is that the code that check the authorized tile is simply not run in this case. But It happens rarely enough so I cannot demonstrate it for sure...

However, if you want to reproduce, running this farm for a few 10s of cycles is more than enough. I can attach a save file if necessary, but my base (1490 cycles) has become pretty large, so I'm reluctant to do so unless requested :)

image.thumb.png.85abed8b05eaf53b1e802969c8119aed.png

2023-09-03_23h09_34.png

Steps to Reproduce
  • Build a shove vole farm as shown in the picture
  • Reach a shove vole count of 10+
  • at some stage, the shove vole count in the farm will decrease without any explanation ; shove vole will get stuck on the lower right hand metal tiles. 

User Feedback

I can now clearly reproduce it. 

If I cram 12+ shove vole in the farm, they very quickly (in less than 1 cycle) get stuck in the wall after another shove vole is eating and excreting - using poop as a proxy to get into the wall.

It's not specific to metal tiles - I could make that work for mechanical airlocks too. I'm unclear whether all tiles are impacted but I think so.

I tried a mitigation by adding more robominers drilling poop through pneumatic doors (farm is too small to add any). It seems to work to some extend - but I can still reproduce the bug, even with this strategy. I guess the solution would be simply to have larger farms. 

But that bug is annoying, and I feel a lot of frustration behind shove vole farming is linked to this bug - I think it deserves a fix. 

image.thumb.png.6363f03f903483ba7edafaadbf53afa1.png

Edited by GDP

Share this comment

Here is a load time screenshot to demonstrate the bug - even after the mitigation

You can clearly see how shove vole get stuck

image.png.a33cd25808b6062c55bfb0a78363f9e0.png

Share this comment

To add to this, this even happens with a liquid gap farm. It is always a tile to the right, and always the same one.

shovevole.png

Edited by Surrealys

Share this comment

I've got a similar issue with them burrowing into metal tiles. To me it seems like they first burrow into a regolith tile, then as the tile is deleted they get teleported to an adjacent tile, kind of like gasses or liquids do when building over them or in a hydra setup. Video is attached below.

image.png.597881db2ff7f0f1d03d4a0b54b8843b.pngimage.png.69acfd8cb32e33bb9f0213e6854ea0ff.png Edited by KnoBuddy

Share this comment