power drains from smart battery and battery at same rate

joeleolie
  • Version: Windows Pending

not sure if this is a bug, programming mistake or i am misinterpreting the science:

battery and smart battery drain at same rate once power is drawn i.e.

battery will read 35kj when smart battery will read 15kj, I believe batteries should balance according to volume of power stored across the whole system (until it hits a transformer) as such power should not be drawn from smart battery until the battery is half empty and then be drawn at an even rate from smart battery and battery.

(this is really important for an alternating battery storage system which will allow me to keep my batteries at a nice comfey temperature without constantly fighting the heat output!)

Steps to Reproduce
connect smart battery and battery together on a single circuit and watch the power draw

User Feedback

That's how Power works in ONI - if you need 1kJ and you have 4 batteries, they split the load and each gives you 250J. You can design a smart battery pack system that works as 1 normal battery(drains 1 smart battery fully, then drains the other battery, then charges both) using logic(actually I already did that, so if you look at the first link in my signature you can see how to do it. It's a long thread though).

• Batteries generate heat at a constant rate as long as they have some non-0 charge in them. Therefore heat is a totally different issue than discharge speed.
  • In order to fight heat, use more smart batteries, as they generate the least heat/J stored, compared to the 2 other types.

No bug - that's intended behavior.

Share this comment

On 7/20/2018 at 10:42 AM, martosss said:

That's how Power works in ONI - if you need 1kJ and you have 4 batteries, they split the load and each gives you 250J. You can design a smart battery pack system that works as 1 normal battery(drains 1 smart battery fully, then drains the other battery, then charges both) using logic(actually I already did that, so if you look at the first link in my signature you can see how to do it. It's a long thread though).

• Batteries generate heat at a constant rate as long as they have some non-0 charge in them. Therefore heat is a totally different issue than discharge speed.
  • In order to fight heat, use more smart batteries, as they generate the least heat/J stored, compared to the 2 other types.

actually Martosss Batteries generate heat if they have a non-zero charge AND they are connected to either a generator or a load wither or not the generator is on or power is drawn from them. if they are not making the lightning and moving and such they are not generating heat. you can use logic and power shutoffs to minimize heat by disconnecting the batteries from the sources or loads. even though they dont generate heat they still lose their charge over time like normal.  check out my power distribution in my current map.

A Well Oiled Colony.sav

Edited by Delaney
I updated my save file

Share this comment

On 20/07/2018 at 6:42 PM, martosss said:

So there is no real use for large batteries once you have smart batteries?, i have created a circuit which alternates charging cycles of 2 battery banks to reduce heat only as the circuit never fully discharges as all of the large batteries have 20kw of power left in them it doesnt function as intended, surely the intention of having the availability of both high capacity batteries and smart batteries is that smart batteries can be used in this way? otherwise large batteries become defunct as soon as smart batteries are researched? switching the system to drain equally either proportionally or to equal level would retain the functionality of large batteries into the late game and add to the complexity of systems which can but dont need to be created, sure i could just use smart batteries but wheres the challenge in that?

Share this comment

22 hours ago, Delaney said:

actually Martosss Batteries generate heat if they have a non-zero charge AND they are connected to either a generator or a load wither or not the generator is on or power is drawn from them. if they are not making the lightning and moving and such they are not generating heat. you can use logic and power shutoffs to minimize heat by disconnecting the batteries from the sources or loads. even though they dont generate heat they still lose their charge over time like normal.  check out my power distribution in my current map.

A Well Oiled Colony.sav

Ah, maybe you're right, I haven't checked all conditions, but you can see for yourself if you click on the battery and see the status - if it says generating heat 2.5W, then it's generating. It makes sense for me that they generate heat if they have charge, regardless of being connected to generators/consumers or not. But maybe they have that too as a condition.

And regarding your base ... nice ... but I have 60 duplicants at C175, so ... a bit different play style required there ;) If you want to have a look at my beautiful mess, here's a save file for you :)  SDC C175 cook auto + SPOM.sav

BTW your oxygen generation is inefficient - power-wise and up-time-wise

And regarding the link - there's no signature in this part of the forum, so here's a direct link - electricity tutorial

Edited by martosss

Share this comment