Metal refinery heating seems inconsistent

mathjeff
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Closed

How much is the metal refinery supposed to heat its input liquid?

Yesterday I put 27 degree water into the metal refinery and it came out at 57 degrees.

A little while later, I put approximately 28.6 degree water into the metal refinery, it came out at approximately 35.6 degrees.

It seems unintuitive to me that a warmer input would yield a cooler output, but I'm not sure which of these two cases is more surprising.

Potentially related: the refinery worker may have had a higher skill value in the second situation

Spoiler

due to activating the Somnium Synthesizer

Thanks!

Steps to Reproduce

Hopefully I can get clearer steps to reproduce when I know which of these two temperature changes is more surprising.

I believe the steps to reproduce are:

1. Operate a metal refinery

2. Put 27 degree water into it

3. Notice the output water is 30 degrees hotter than the input water: 57 degrees

Thanks!

User Feedback

the heat output depends entirely on the material

if you look at the recipes, they have the heat as "X kDtu" listed, with steel creating the most heat

the temperature increase of the coolant is depending of its heat capacity, high capacity liquids (like water) have a lot less temperature increase than low capacity liquids
also; the heat is distributed equally between all coolants in the building, requiring a minimum of 400kg liquid coolant (but having a max capacity of 800kg)

800kg water on the first refinement after a while of idle heat up less than the minimum amount, 400kg, that are in the building after that first refinement process (since the refinement is most likely faster than the time it takes to fill up the coolant storage to full)

Share this comment

Aha thanks, that seems to explain it - primarily the different heat per recipe.

If enough other people missed this, it could be nice to make it easier to notice in the interface; perhaps a tooltip could be added over "Significantly Heats and outputs the Liquid piped into it" saying something like "Heat is dependent on the recipe".

If not many people miss this, then I think this bug can be closed.

Thanks

Edited by mathjeff

Share this comment