Heat conduction in vacuum only working selectively

TunderLock
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

In the image below, 2 cases of heat conduction in vacuum are working and 2 others counter intuitively don't.

HeatInSpace.thumb.png.7a01545cfc2c6ae487fbe402db4f616c.png

1. Works: 300C debris falling on glass transfers heat to glass.
  2. Works: Auto-sweepers picking up 300C debris receive heat transfer from debris
  3. Doesn't work: Cold metal tiles receive no heat transfer from solar panels
  4. Doesn't work: Auto-sweepers fail to transfer heat to radiant pipe cooling loop behind them.

Currently it seems debris-building heat conduction in vacuum works fine, but building-building conduction is broken.

Doesnt work.sav

Steps to Reproduce
See decription

User Feedback

Here's a little theory about heat transfer, note that some things are outdated, but the general idea should be the same - cell-cell vs cell-building vs cell-entity!

1. is perfectly normal - tile-tile transfer, both materials non-vacuum
  2. works, because the sweeper actually "touches" the materials, so there is direct contact, this is building-entity transfer(same for pipe-content)
  3. Ah, I did this last, now I remember - buildings transfer heat only to their cells => vacuum = no heat transfer behind them.
  4. I think this shouldn't work, because vacuum will block the heat transfer between the 2 buildings - Basically they transfer heat to the cell they occupy, but since it's vacuum, no heat transfer happens. So this is normal.

Now I'm thinking how to actually cool those panels/sweepers. I'm levitating around tempshift plates, but they might still not work, since they're basically a building and transfer heat to the cell(vacuum => no transfer).

Another idea might be using liquid. I'm not sure how space works(if liquid will flow down, or up, or disappear), but assuming it falls down, you can drip water on the panels. This should meant that the tile behind the building contains water instead of vacuum and heat transfer will start.

Sweepers might be a bit harder, though, as they're "floating" around, so I'm not sure how water dripping on them works.

Basically heat conduction works "as expected" - when there's direct contact - there's heat transfer. When there isn't - no heat transfer in vacuum.

Edited by martosss
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment