Game speed hitches/stuttering

Ingole
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Since at least Nov 18th, ONI has a repetitive performance stutter that I've never previously encountered. Approximately every second, the game performance seems to 'hang' very briefly and then resume. This occurs at all game speed settings, and is observable in the animations, while scrolling and basically during any gameplay function. I suspect it's occurring on the main menu as well, but it's difficult to verify. 

This occurs on any save, existing or new.

Things I've tried without success:

• Wiped Windows and reinstalled (clean, nothing retained)
  • Rolled back GPU drivers
  • Rolled back to the previous version of ONI
  • Closed every background task I can find
  • Disabled all overlays

Things that have worked:

• Run ONI windowed. For reasons I do not understand, this only occurs during full screen rendering.

This might not be an ONI specific bug, but this is the only game I'm observing the issue in. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I found the conflict/culprit: Windows 11 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. I can reliably resolve/reproduce the issue by turning it on or off. With it off, the issue is resolved. Obviously not ideal, but for now it works.

Hardware GPU.png

Steps to Reproduce

Launch ONI and load any save. Place the game in any speed other than 'pause'.

DxDiag.txt

• Like 2

User Feedback

Sorry to necro, but I encounter the same thing. Ever since I installed Windows 11 I got really bad stutters. This goes away after turning off Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. Hope it helps.

EDIT: The stutter came back, even after turning HAS off. I just reinstalled windows to windows 10, and it has the exact same issue. It seems to be something with either the AMD CPU (7800x3d) or gpu (rx7800xt), altough I think the GPU is very unlikely as I had this gpu in my old build with an Intel processor.

Edited by Dyornos

Share this comment