Duplicants storage preferences that aren't based on distance or priority?

Zippy95
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Linux Pending

My duplicants are irregularly ignoring optimal storage compactors in favor of filling up nearly-full compactors, sometimes quite far away, regardless of their distance and priority.  Burt was kind enough to give us an example:

BurtPriority.thumb.png.0c0c454eadbbcefc7650be7f8e499d0a.png

We're cleaning up (sweep command, priority 6) a large area just off the left side of the screen, and there's plenty of storage nearby, some of which has a priority of 6 (+1 over every other storage with the sole exception of the wort-seed-only storage, which is not involved).  In the image below, we see Burt ignoring all of it one cycle later in favor of this nearly full one a little farther away.  Maybe he just wants everything topped off?

BurtLater.thumb.png.923ebfafee7a008c4a7b73f54693f094.png

Nope.  Just a little bit earlier, he's gone to deliver an extremely small packet of sand to the same storage compactor, and it's not enough to top it off.  This is a duplicant that can carry up to 1640kg, and I have seen that they will gather multiple debris together and use multiple storage compactors for a more optimal delivery run before.

BurtInefficient.thumb.png.dbdf79d39d076bbd16033d08b60ee629.png

I have seen all of my duplicants doing this, going more than twice as far in some cases.  After the above example, Burt proceeded to fill up other, nearly-full-but-not-very-close compactors.  I can't figure out why.  In one case, I de-prioritized one apparently-highly-preferred compactor (down to 1), and the duplicants proceeded to fill up the local, high-priority compactors for a time.  I am as of yet unsure if reloading the game has any effect on this, but it doesn't seem to.... except that I have previously had difficulties (only observed twice) getting my duplicants to use freshly-built (i.e. the save has not been reloaded since their construction) compactors—and a fish feeder in one case—and those compactors were 100% ignored until I reloaded.  I don't know if that was in favor of the nearly-full compactors, as I had not yet clearly observed that preference at that time.

Steps to Reproduce
Unsure; this may occur when some storage compactors have filled and than been withdrawn from, or perhaps when they are otherwise not yet full but very close (95%+?). I have been unable to clearly reproduce the ignored compactor phenomenon as of yet.
  • Like 1

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.