Crash Soon After Loading with Graphical Artifacts

RianGray
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: OSX Pending

I'm on a colony that I've cheated out of failure; I've lost the base early on. So the all resources are complete haywire and might as well be the reason behind it all. At any rate, in the earlier stage of the game, the graphical artifacts were tolerable stalls. Now it's actually giving me red screens; except, all the other processes running in the background are mostly fine. I'm usually the one who has to force restart, as I simply can't force kill ONI separately. 

After googling the symptoms a bit, I realized it could potentially be the problem with the graphics card malfunctioning. However, I also had to rule it out after doing some stress tests using benchmarking tools, and also by the fact that I've never notice this issue with any other games, especially the ones more GPU-intensive. All I could say is that I was not able to reproduce the problem on my personal laptop with the same save file, (MBP, late 2016) so I'm at a complete loss. Also my guess is that RX580 MPX module, which is the de facto graphics card on Mac Pro, would not have problems handling it, which just makes it even more weirder.

System Specs:

• Mac Pro 2019, running macOS Catalina 10.15.6
  • 3.3Ghz 12 Core Intel Xeon W
  • 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
  • Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB 

bugreport.log bugreport.sav

Steps to Reproduce

Simply load the save file on a similarly speced Mac, and play for 10-30 minutes. The graphical artifacts will appear more frequently, and with the spinning wheel, I'd be locked out. In some extreme cases, the screen turns red. 

bugreport.sav

User Feedback

I've done some more testings with different setups. I've used RX 580X MPX, (which is Apple's RX580X sold with Mac Pro) and it was able to survive through at least 1 cycle+. Since Vega can't make it past 30 minutes, let alone half a cycle, my guess is the crash is specifically tied to Vega, or its drivers, or etc.

Also on a new game, there is no graphical artifacts (almost always checkerboard, but instead of looking glitchy, it's perfectly squared and happens only around the edges of the screen) or red screens on Vega, though it is <100 cycles. There is another old save from May I used to play, which was 2000+ cycle, and that one did not have any issues other than lags. I will try to find the old saves in my backup, and see if the problem persists. 

Share this comment