Volcano timer bugs

Rerija
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Shipwrecked Pending

1 - If the player pacifies the volcano, the eruption will happen in one day without warning (there’s no quakes and sound effects or the character’s quotes). There’s no difference if the player descends the volcano or stays.

2 - By the end of the dry season the eruption starts faster. There is 2 minutes between the first warning and the eruption instead of 8 minutes.

Steps to Reproduce

1 - You need to feed the altar. It has a chance not to warn you before the eruption.

2 - It usually happens if the player spends dry season in the other dlc and returns to SW by the end of the season. 

User Feedback

This is a post from the developer of the volcano alert mod I think it may be discussing the same bug but with further detail, either that or another new bug for you to consider

Notes to 1.1 release and appeasement

When appeasing the volcano later in the season (with some eruptions already passed) you may notice that the alert indicator seems to behave erratically - it may go to safe first, then switch to higher alert, then go safe again, etc. You may also note that the altar may allow you to appease it way more than about 60 units you would expect it to let you normally.

In short, it is caused by this mod applying a fix to make the indicator icon reliable, together with shoddy implementation of the Volcano itself.

When I was implementing the appeasement handling, I faced the problem that the alert level was not cleared after appeasement if that happened after last warning quake - the problem being that the control routine simply did not add any further warning quakes after the eruption was moved forward. That means, if you appease the volcano and don't restart the game or leave the Volcano region, you're going to get the next eruption fall on your head without any warning quakes.

I added a fix on that - it regenerates the schedule after each appeasement. That adds warning quakes and displays correct alert level, but another problem popped up with that. And that is, the delay between eruptions later in season is shorter than the maximum delay by which you can appease the volcano. And so after appeasing the volcano, you may now appease it to the level where it brings forth an eruption that's already passed.

In reality, you can do this in unmodded game as well. It won't regenerate the schedule right after appeasing, it will do that however once you leave the volcano area, or once you restart the game. With this mod, you only get it instantly and you get it indicated.

I don't feel like I can do anything reasonable about it without making serious changes to the volcano implementation. For now, just make sure you take enough items to appease the volcano all the way to the start of the season if you go to do it late. Or do it in small careful steps, not using the maximum appeasement range.

Share this comment