Don't Starve is damaged and can't be opened.

Kyradelle
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC Closed

I have played roughly 40 hours in Don't Starve on my Steam account, although its been a few years. Recently tried to play it again and now getting error messages and failure to launch. I am on a MacBook Air that was purchased new less than a year ago. I have followed troubleshooting recommendations from both Steam Support and Klei Support. My OS is up to date, files are verified, no mods, no security software, and it is not in Power Saving Mode. Attached are screenshots of the error messages that I've seen when trying to launch.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 11.06.20 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 11.06.54 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 2.23.25 PM.png

Steps to Reproduce

I simply launched my Steam app from the dock on my MacBook, selected Don't Starve from my Steam Library where it was already purchased, downloaded, and installed. Clicked PLAY and it would start to act like it was launching, then I would get error messages. 

User Feedback

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about this.

As a first troubleshooting step, you will need to ensure that your local account on the MacOS device has full administrator privilege to read/write/access your hard drive. You can find more information on administrator privileges for local mac user accounts here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

If you have tried the above and the issue persists, you should be able to do a workaround that will allow you to play the game on your Mac OS in the meantime:

1) On your Steam Library list, if you click on PLAY for Don't Starve and you will encounter the error message indicating the file is damaged and should be moved to trash, click on the cancel button to close that window.

2) Instead, go back to your Steam Library list, right-click on Don't Starve > Click on "Manage" > and click on "Browse Local Files"; this will open up your installation folder.

3) Right-click on the donotstarve_steam app > select the OPEN button; this will provide another error message indicating the following:
"dontstarve_steam is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash."

4) On that error message, click on the OPEN button. This will force the Mac OS to launch the game successfully. Once you are able to successfully launch it once this way, you only need to click on the PLAY button on Steam to launch it going forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

28 minutes ago, DiogoW said:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about this.

As a first troubleshooting step, you will need to ensure that your local account on the MacOS device has full administrator privilege to read/write/access your hard drive. You can find more information on administrator privileges for local mac user accounts here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

If you have tried the above and the issue persists, you should be able to do a workaround that will allow you to play the game on your Mac OS in the meantime:

1) On your Steam Library list, if you click on PLAY for Don't Starve and you will encounter the error message indicating the file is damaged and should be moved to trash, click on the cancel button to close that window.

2) Instead, go back to your Steam Library list, right-click on Don't Starve > Click on "Manage" > and click on "Browse Local Files"; this will open up your installation folder.

3) Right-click on the donotstarve_steam app > select the OPEN button; this will provide another error message indicating the following:
"dontstarve_steam is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash."

4) On that error message, click on the OPEN button. This will force the Mac OS to launch the game successfully. Once you are able to successfully launch it once this way, you only need to click on the PLAY button on Steam to launch it going forward.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This worked no problem and now it launches straight from Steam!!! Such a simple workaround that I hadn't even noticed or been tipped off about!!! Thank you a million times again!!!

• Like 1

Share this comment