Don't Starve for MacOS on GoG doesn't work with an Xbox Core Wireless Controller

quisquous
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked Pending

Hi! I bought Don't Starve on gog.com. I installed it on MacOS 13.3.1 (a) on an M1 MacBook Air. I'm trying to play using my Xbox Core Wireless Controller paired with my Mac via Bluetooth. The controller works with other games, so I know it's paired correctly, the OS recognizes it, and it's connecting ok.

Unfortunately, after launching Don't Starve, I'm unable to use my controller to navigate the menus or play the game. And under the Controls menu there is no option to switch from Keyboard control to Xbox controller.

I love playing Don't Starve using a controller and it would be great to be able to do it on my favorite DRM-free gaming platform (GoG) on my laptop (MacBook Air M1)!

Steps to Reproduce

Turn on your Xbox Core Wireless Controller and wait for it to connect to your MacBook Air M1. Launch Don't Starve (GoG). Try to navigate the menus using your controller. Note that you are unable to use your controller to navigate the menus or play the game.

• Like 1

User Feedback

I heard that the older Xbox Wireless Controller, model 1708 works with Don't Starve. I tried it out and verified that it does work! The controller that does NOT work is a model 1914, I think, aka the newer controller, the controller for the Xbox Series X/S. I wonder if the supported controller models are hardcoded in Don't Starve. It would be nice if adding support were as simple as adding the new model IDs and recompiling. I can wish can't I? :) Anyhow, I hope y'all decide to add support for the newer controllers, at least one customer would be grateful!

• Like 1

Share this comment

Having the same problem with my Xbox Series X|S wireless controller on the Steam version of DST. I'm on a MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro running macOS 13.4. The game does work as intended with my PS5 controller though. If you wanna play with a controller you can try borrow one of those XD

Like seriously the PS5 controller on Mac is compatible with every game I throw at it while the Xbox always require some minor tweaking (disabling/enabling this and that in the settings) or worse, it might not even work at all :P

Share this comment