Crashing after transitioning between worlds but before an auto-save misaligns the days count

ShadowbirdRH
  • DLC VERSION - IMPORTANT!: Vanilla - NO DLC, Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, Hamlet Pending

This eventuality is what always ends up killing Don't Starve for me, for as long as I've been playing it. I'm not completely sure whether it's just cosmetic or not, but it has seemed that as such incidents occur and worlds go further out of alignment, time based mechanics grow more out of whack, eventually making it impossible to enjoy. Is there any way to fix this?

I've included screenshots from Hamlet (first) and RoG where the discrepancy is, and my zipped save folder. File 4 is where the issue is.

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 12.32.05 PM (2).png

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 12.33.27 PM (2).png

remote.zip

Steps to Reproduce

I transition between areas, whether it be Survival, Caves/Ruins, Hamlet, Shipwrecked, Volcano, and if the game happens to crash before the game can auto-save, when I open the game again, I'm back where I last entered the world from, but the days count is misaligned. In this instance, the game crashed right when I hit Save and Quit, following exiting the caves.

User Feedback

When this happened to one of my saves, it appeared to reset the moon cycle as well, going from full moon to new moon in the world I jumped to.

Share this comment

Yeesh that's nasty. I've put down the game since this happened in hopes of some resolution, but if none comes, I'll have to pin my hopes on the backup I made prior to entering the Skyworthy. Last time I tried to restore a backup didn't go so well.

Share this comment

It happened to me too, I`m worry about my world, I don`t want to start another one.

Edited by LaMuerteBrutal

Share this comment

Well crap.

Tried restoring backup, things went a bit weird. Going through the Skyworthy gave me a crash screen suggesting I delete my save. Figuring I might be able to reset whatever process is watching my files, I deleted it, then restored it again. I was able to pass through the skyworthy and generate a new Hamlet world, but when I got back, the discrepancy still remained. Wherever that counter is that gets messed up thanks to Steam crashing and dragging Don't Starve down with it is somewhere else and isn't so easily fixed.

My world is dead, and unless the people behind the game can make it robust enough that players don't have less to worry about from dying in game than bugs and glitches ruining their save files, my interest in the game may as well be buried along with it.

Share this comment