Turning On Or Off Lag Compensation While Moving Causes Sliding and Loss of Movement Control

SirMilkToast
  • Fixed

If you enable or disable Lag Compensation while you are moving it can cause issues where your character will start to slide and sometimes you will be unable to control them. This bug can occur either when you enable or disable Lag Compensation, and it has slightly different results for each case. When this bug occurs when you are enabling Lag Compensation it has a much greater effect. The slide will be faster, and you will probably not be able to control your character. When the bug occurs when you are disabling Lag Compensation the sliding effect is a lot less and you typically can regain control of your character.

I tested this as both the client and the server (so on a world with 2 shards and a different world with only 1), and the bug only seems to happen when you are a client.

Changing your Lag Compensation setting again will fix the sliding. I know that means this probably isn't too high on your priority list, but I am begging you to fix this. I need enabling/disabling Lag Compensation while moving to work for a mod I'm working on...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Start Moving using one of WASD

2. While moving press p to pause the game

3. Release the key you were pressing to move

4. Go into the settings and switch your setting for Lag Compensation

5. Close out of the settings and unpause the game

6. Don't press any movement keys and observe how you begin to slide and maybe lose control of your character depending on what you changed the setting to

Additional notes on triggering the bug:

- This bug can also be triggered when you walk using the Mouse instead of the WASD keys. Just click once to start moving then do steps 2 - 6. When this setup triggers the bug, it typically results in your character sliding until you reach your destination and then you stop sliding and regain control of your character.

- This bug can also be triggered without pausing the game. If you write a mod that will call the ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction() function, then you can also trigger the bug without pausing the game. Simply repeat the same steps but instead of pausing the game trigger that function and at the same time stop pressing the movement key, and the bug can occur. Additionally, if opening the options menu doesn't pause the game, then you should be able to simply click to move, then change the Lag Compensation setting while moving. Although I didn't test that last method of causing the bug.

- If you need a video showing off how it's done, just let me know.

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.