The suggestion for translations of little drama

HanTears
  • Closed

Hello,
I have some suggestions for Chinese translations of little drama.
In act 1, scene 2
"who had cared for her ever since the Blacksmith herself was small."
The current translation is
"鐵匠此後一直照顧她,鐵匠自己也很小"
but it's totally different meaning

I think
"從鐵匠還小的時候,就一直在照顧她"
will be better. 

Steps to Reproduce

play drama act 1, scene 2

User Feedback

According to our translator this change will modify the meaning and intent of the original text. Thank you for submitting a proposal, and please let us know if you want more to be looked at or have other propositions!

Changed Status to Closed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

so in this sentence "who had cared for her ever since the Blacksmith herself was small.", it means the Blacksmith is small when the doll turns to live? (As ""鐵匠此後一直照顧她,鐵匠自己也很小" suggests)

I thought this means the Blacksmith take care of her since the Blacksmith is small to the Blacksmith grows up? (i.e. the Blacksmith has taken care of the doll for many years = "從鐵匠還小的時候,就一直在照顧她")

@JesseB_Klei Would you mind to explain the meaning of this sentence in English? Thanks.

Edited by erikac14

Share this comment

3 hours ago, erikac14 said:

so in this sentence "who had cared for her ever since the Blacksmith herself was small.", it means the Blacksmith is small when the doll turns to live? (As ""鐵匠此後一直照顧她,鐵匠自己也很小" suggests)

I thought this means the Blacksmith take care of her since the Blacksmith is small to the Blacksmith grows up? (i.e. the Blacksmith has taken care of the doll for many years = "從鐵匠還小的時候,就一直在照顧她")

@JesseB_Klei Would you mind to explain the meaning of this sentence in English? Thanks.

ACT1_SCENE2
        -- NARRATOR
        LINE3   = "The little doll ran first to the Blacksmith,",
        LINE4   = "who had cared for her ever since",
        LINE5   = "the Blacksmith herself was small.",

LINE5 is a reference to a time in the past. LINE3 says the doll first went to the Blacksmith. LINE4 + LINE5 describes the Blacksmith as a person who cared for the little doll ever since the Blacksmith was young in physical size and an implied young age. Intent with poems and prose can be rough when translating so please let me know if I am clear enough on the description.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

10 hours ago, JesseB_Klei said:

ACT1_SCENE2
        -- NARRATOR

LINE5 is a reference to a time in the past. LINE3 says the doll first went to the Blacksmith. LINE4 + LINE5 describes the Blacksmith as a person who cared for the little doll ever since the Blacksmith was young in physical size and an implied young age. Intent with poems and prose can be rough when translating so please let me know if I am clear enough on the description.

Thank you @JesseB_Klei for the clear explanation!

So actually HanTears and I both understand the sentence correctly, and unfortunately, the current Chinese translation is wrong. I guess it's because the translation need to match the line order and it's hard to translate into Chinese correctly without reversing line 4 and 5. Still, I would like to see the current translation to be changed as HanTears suggests. 

(current) "鐵匠此後一直照顧她,鐵匠自己也很小":

translate back to English: the Blacksmith takes care of her ever since (the doll came to life).   The black smith herself is small. 

the second sentence is the same as original script but it has completely different meaning when reading with the first sentence. (actually make no sense at all)

(correct translation) "從鐵匠還小的時候,就一直在照顧她"

Actually there are so many errors in Traditional Chinese translation that make me question about your translator. e.g. "Browse Game" as the first thing you see when entering game, got translated as "流覽遊戲", but it should be "瀏覽遊戲".

Share this comment

16 hours ago, JesseB_Klei said:

ACT1_SCENE2
        -- NARRATOR

Thus both Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese translation are wrong because it translates back to

(The Blacksmith)who had cared for her ever/forever

And/Since/Because/... the Blacksmith herself was small

Share this comment