Save quietly fails on dedicated server

Fyrdinand
  • Pending

Twice recently I've encountered an issue where I'd play for a few hours, shut down the server, then after reloading the server I'd be put back to the save state from before I started playing. Didn't see anything in-game to indicate that saving hadn't worked, but looking at the save files and server logs there just weren't any records of the saving that should have occurred. Plenty of free hard drive space, so that's not the issue.

I saw in another thread that folks are seeing issues recently that occur due to the Master & Caves servers being started at the same time so I think that may be related. At least in one attempt of running the Caves after Master completed loading resulted is saving working as expected.

Note that this was on Windows 10 in LAN mode.

Thanks for looking into this!

[UPDATE] Further investigation indicates the hard drive showed some behavior of not retaining other changes made to it too, so now I'm suspecting it's a hard drive issue rather than a bug with DST. If anyone else runs it to it though, please share.

Steps to Reproduce

(note that the issue is intermittent so repro steps may not occur every time)

1. Run a dedicated LAN server on Windows 10 using the recommended commands:
c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

2. Join the server as admin from another machine

3. Play for several in-game days and/or run the `c_save()` command on occasion

4. Shut down the server using `c_shutdown()`

5. Run the server again using same commands as before

6. Note that game was restored to last working save, not any of the save states resulting from autosave or command

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.