most players cannot see movement of monsters

abugher
  • Pending

I'm hosting an instance of Don't Starve Together dedicated server on Debian 9.  The server is provisioned using the same Steam account I play with.  (abugher)

When players other than myself join, they cannot properly interact with monsters.  Monsters are visible, but don't seem to move around, and interactions don't quite work.

Multiple people have reported the same results to me, but I made observations with my wife, so I will use her case as an example.

Butterflies:  A butterfly will spawn over a flower, but it will just flap in place indefinitely.  If she tries to attack, her character makes attack motions, but the butterfly is unaffected.

Birds:  When she approaches a bird, the scared bird sound is audible, but the flying away animation isn't shown.  The bird seems to look left and right rapidly, in place, with its wings open, then disappears.

When I play, using the same account used to provision the server, things work fine.

I am attaching the log file.  My wife logged on long enough to observe the bird and butterfly, and that was the last play time captured in the log.  Her connection seems to start at [13:34:17] .

Steps to Reproduce
Deploy dedicated server on Debian. Connect using the same account running the server to observe success. Connect using any other account to observe the problem.

User Feedback

My wife and I both use Debian on the client end.  A house guest just connected from a Mac, and when he scares birds they fly away.  I'll attach the most recent log.  He was the last one to connect.

server_log.txt

Share this comment

Just in case it isn't clear from above:  This problem seems to affect all monsters for the affected player.  The butterfly and bird are just examples that were easy to get details from.

Share this comment

I logged in to my account on my wife's computer.  When I launched Don't Starve and joined my server, I could observe the problem, at least with birds.

Share this comment

On my wife's computer, we upgraded from Debian 8 to 9, purged steam and dontstarvetogether, removed ~/.steam and ~/.klei, and then reinstalled steam and dontstarvetogether.  Now when she connects to the server she sees birds and butterflies move, and can interact normally.

There is no longer a problem on systems I can check in the immediate future.  It seems like the problem was resolved by changes on the client end, so it doesn't seem to me like this is a bug, at least in the current server or client.  Since the problem remained after the OS upgrade, I suspect the problem was caused by old data files, either incompatible with the current version of the game, or just corrupted somehow.

I don't see a "close" button, so I won't worry about that.  I'll post again if I can find out anything about the other problematic clients.  Right now, looks good.

Share this comment