LAN mode only uses first ethernet interface (Windows 10)

michaelhobo
  • Pending

I was having trouble discovering my friend's LAN server until I rebooted my computer: from Browse Games > LAN, I kept refreshing and nothing showed up, even after my other friends were able to join the LAN server. I'm running Windows 10 with WSL2 enabled.

After debugging, I found out that the problem depended on my order of ethernet interfaces, e.g. in ipconfig. It seems like DST is choosing the first ethernet interface to determine my LAN network. On fresh boot, my ethernet interface order (from ipconfig) is: 1) Ethernet (lan), 2) wifi, 3) vEthernet (WSL). After putting my computer to sleep and bringing it back out, the order is: 1) vEthernet (WSL), 2) Ethernet (lan), 3) wifi

When I disable the vEthernet (WSL) network interface, and hit the refresh button on the LAN page, my friend's server immediately shows up.

I have a workaround, but this is still pretty annoying. I also don't like that I need to essentially shut off my WSL2 connection every time I want to play. Can this be fixed?

Steps to Reproduce

Create some local ethernet interface, and put it before your LAN connection in your priority list

In DST: Browse games > LAN > Refresh, and nothing should show up

Windows Start Menu > View Network COnnections, and right click the ethernet device, and disable it.

In DST: Refresh LAN view, and the LAN server should show up.

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.