Game controller/gamepad not working (unselectable, stuck on left)

KobaltSabre
  • Pending

Edit: Ok so a fix I think I found if you have the same issue is basically: hold Left Trigger (maybe Right Trigger if it doesn't work?) when selecting Generic Controller instead of Keyboard and Mouse in the settings, but before releasing, switch to another option or option menu, then release. Then go to the Controls settings menu for the input mapping (where you pick your buttons), unbind everything (using the triangle button for my PS4 controller) that is "+X Rotation" or "-X Rotation" or "+Y rotation" or "-Y Rotation" and replace them with the right joystick (Z Axis), or just rebind into whatever you prefer.

This is going to be a bit long and possibly not be useful, but I really wanted to play with friends and spent a little while playing around the settings with my controller to see if I could fix it. I've found similar issues elsewhere in this bug tracker forum without resolutions.

Basically, fresh game install today, first time playing, but game controller stopped working. It worked at first when I installed the game, but it was buggy, for some reason the input was stuck on "left" for the UI only (for example selecting an item in the inventory the cursor would keep going back left the moment I let go of right, while browsing). Then for some reason it seemed like the game wouldn't recognize it anymore, but after trying in the settings, what happens is the moment I try to switch the input the game controller, it immediately swaps back to mouse and keyboard (in like a millisecond). I tried unplugging and re-plugging the controller both outside the game and in-game.

I am using a Playstation Dualshock 4 controller. I am using it wired. The game recognizes my controller as a Generic Controller. I have tried with both Steam configs on and off. When on, the game recognizes it as an Xbox controller, but I cannot apply any changes in the setting since it seems the mapping for that button does not exist for the DS4, so I turned it back off (or rather, the default Steam option). It works with every other game I have ever tried on Steam or outside of Steam, and when I check in the Windows "Set up USB game controllers" properties to test all the buttons, it works perfectly. I have also tested in Steam controller options and it works perfectly.

However, after playing around for a bit, I have noticed that if I hold Left Trigger (haven't tried with Right Trigger) while trying to switch the input from mouse and keyboard to game controller, it "blocks" it (and makes an audio noise of it) so that I can switch the selected setting to something else to force it to select game controller. Thinking back on my initial experience when the controller was somewhat working, it seemed that using the Trigger buttons to do things like browser inventory was when they weird behaviour would occur, where it would keep inputting "left", probably...

Following that, I went into the "Controls" settings to map the controller buttons to actions, and all buttons were fine except for the controller's Left and Right Triggers. I noticed that while the game mapped "Map Zoom In" and "Map Zoom Out" to the Trigger buttons by default, when I'd try to remap them to the same thing (just to test), it would instead map to some "Rotation". Basically, my Left Trigger and Right Trigger in-game are Button 6 and Button 7, respectively. However, when I would try to remap them manually to the same thing, they would instead, respectively, map to "+X Rotation" and "+Y Rotation", and, inconsistently, sometimes map to "-X Rotation" and "-Y Rotation" (minus symbol instead of plus). But then I noticed that, if I hold down Left Trigger before assigning the button, then pressed it to assign the button, then released it, it would still map to "+X Rotation"... except if I released the Left Trigger quickly enough, in which case it would map to "Button 6". Ditto for Right Trigger, if I held it down before assigning it, and then let it go quickly enough, it would map to "Button 7", otherwise "+Y Rotation" if done slower. So, this is technically how the controller is supposed to work, and the game in fact assigns some actions to them, but I am not 100% sure it is intended. After forcing selecting Game controller using the method above, I tried in-game to see what the behaviour was exactly, particularly the Triggers. This is literally my first time playing though, I apologize I don't really know anything nor the correct terms for anything. The Right Trigger opens up the inventory (bottom bar) fine, except that when trying to go right to select something, it keeps going back left once you release. As for the Left Trigger, it seems if I very carefully just tap or slightly press and release the Left Trigger, it opens up the left menu without problem, but the since game maps the X and Y Rotation input to move the cursor, it is really difficult and hard to control as Trigger does not really permit it. When the left menu isn't open, if I press the Left Trigger all the way and then release, it opens up the left menu and just moves the cursor all the way right (as long as it's pressed) and back left (after release). If I press the Left Trigger again to close it, it will close it but also move the bottom bar inventory cursor right then back left. These are default assignment for "Generic Controller" with the X and Y Rotation so I understand this is technically working as intended, since "Generic Controller" could mean anything including more advanced controllers with better ways to use those Rotation inputs. I'll still leave this here as it is the default settings for certain controllers like the DS4 it seems and I've seen other people report this kind of behaviour I think (this can remove it if it clogs up the bug report).

image.thumb.png.e94a630addf36c9e1ec8ec9d68fec185.png

I also went fiddling in the Windows "Set up USB game controllers" properties again and confirmed that the Left Trigger simultaneously controls the "X Rotation" and the button #5 (it counts the buttons starting from 1 instead of starting from 0 like DST). Same for Right Trigger, it controls both the "Y Rotation" and the button #6 (Button 7 in DST). When pressing the Triggers, they register the button press the whole time, but I assume that DST only recognizes the Rotation input first. I also noticed that when I release the triggers as quickly as possible, you don't see the Rotation input indicator bars go down smoothly, instead they just snap to 0, so I'm also guessing this makes DST recognize the button input but not the "Rotation" one, but I'm not sure. Though as mentioned above, this is technically all working as intended, but doesn't seem to work well by default for at least DS4 controllers, so maybe leaving the explanation here could be useful to someone.

I have 0 knowledge how any of this works otherwise, but maybe the issue lies somewhere here (or not) so I'm just relaying my experience. Apologies in advance if all this has already been reported or explored.

I am on a Windows 10 PC playing through Steam. This is on a fresh brand-new installation of Don't Starve Together. Game controller was somewhat working at first though a bit finicky/buggy but then it stopped, it could not be selected anymore in the options (it would instantly switch back the keyboard and mouse).

Edit: Ok so I just unbinded all the "+/- X/Y Rotation" inputs and since the Z Axis (right joystick) isn't used, I used that instead for the actions. Works pretty well now!

I think this also fixes the issue of switching from Keyboard and Mouse to Generic Controller setting?

Steps to Reproduce

1. Plug in game controller.

2. Open game.

3. Test if controller is working.

4. Go to Game Options.

5. In the main settings, try to switch from Mouse and Keyboard input to Game Controller.

6. If the game switches, but then instantly switches back to Mouse an Keyboard, hold Left Trigger and try again without releasing, then select a different option or menu before releasing.

For the "weird" Trigger buttons assignment behaviour:

7. Go to the Controls options.

8. Try to assign an action to the Trigger buttons without assigning to "+/- X/Y Rotation" inputs.

9. If it doesn't work, try to hold down the Trigger first before assigning, then press to assign without releasing, then release the Trigger as fast as possible to assign.

User Feedback

bro thank u very much I have the same problem and could not play the game after following ur tips I solved it u don't know how much time I spent searching for a fix thank u very much again 

<3

Share this comment