FPS issue for megabase.

Onirian
  • Pending

Hi,

First of all, I love your game (near 600 hours, according to Steam ^^) and this is why I do this post ^_^.

I really want to create a megabase on DST, but, each time, I have performance issue while my base is growing. I see few posts talking about this, but maybe I can add few tests / informations.

I do a video recording to show you the problem, and a wireshark trace during this video (according to the fact I'm pretty sure that the problem is a network problem).

On this video, I start on a non-build place and I go to my camp. You can see my fps fall from 60 to 25. I record this only after two minutes playing. If I play a more long time, the fps can fall near 10 (which is unplayable). In this case, disconnect and reload the map can help.

The host is lagging too (the problem takes a bit more time to happen, but happen too). And of course, the bigger is the base, the bigger is the lag problem.

I record from the client part (ip : 192.168.0.21), and I play in lan with two pc connected by a hub (not wifi, I use ethernet cable).

The host pc configuration is pretty good : Intel Core i7 4ghz, 20Go Ram (Yes, 20), NVidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti,

The client pc configuration (mine) is a little lower but pretty good too : Intel Code i7 2.8 Ghz, 8Go Ram, NVidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti.

I have desactivated all mods during the test (some mods makes the problem very bigger, for example "MiniMap HUD").

I can do other tests if you want, and I'm ok to give you my map if needed.

Thanks in advance !

ps : sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

__

Onirian

2016-05-31_22-49-09.mp4

dst_lag.pcapng

Steps to Reproduce
Have a (little ^^) megabase. Just go in.
  • Like 2

User Feedback

Hi,

I'm sorry to insist, but the game now is nearly unplayable. I have added a lot of "improved farm" and the fps / lag problem is really bigger than before.

I have made a video with a very little game session (less than 1m30), where I load the game, I pass by my farm, try to make food on a crockpot (with no success due to the awfull lag and the fps down to 10 during the walking) and disconnect. You will cleary see the problem.

I'm myself computer scientist, and I absolutely know how performance problem can be sometimes hard to fix. But this problem is really a major problem, because it simply avoid anybody to plays long games and create big bases (which is one of the more interresting part of this really cool game).

Each times I've tried to do a megabase I have stopped because of this problem (it's an old problem...).

So please Klei, can you fix it ?

In attachment you will found the video and the client_log.txt created during this session. Of course, all mod were disabled during the test. I've also added a DxDiag made just before the game session.

If you have any question about this problem, I'll be happy to help you.

Thanks again, Onirian.

DxDiag.txt

client_log.txt

2016-06-06_22-08-21.mp4

Edited by Onirian

Share this comment