Can't start server or update settings with xbox controller after latest update.

kayzingzingy
  • Fixed

Yesterday Mar 26th the game was working fine.
Today Mar 27th, when I try to start a server "- No Bind - Resume world" meaning I can not start the server with my xbox controller. Yesterday this used to just have the start button and the start button would start the world. Note there's no keyboard button I can use since changing to keyboard mouse actually shows a button on screen that you click. That button is missing when you're using a controller.

Furthermore you cannot change your settings with controller because the same issue arises. You can make changes but to apply there is no binding.

Note that I haven't changed my bindings and I also manually deleted these files
~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/92934195/client_save/profile
~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/92934195/client.ini

and the issue persists.

Steps to Reproduce

Open don't starve together with an xbox controller connected.
Update settings to use controller if not already set.
Try to host your own server.
There will not be a button bound to start the server

• Like 2

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Update: I messed around with the lua files. I was able to fix this issue by updating this line in constants.lua

- CONTROL_MENU_START = 84
+ CONTROL_MENU_START = 13

it seems that 84 value doesn't map to anything in xbox one controllers. I got 13 from another line that indicates that's the pause button (that's the button I used before)

Share this comment

15 hours ago, kayzingzingy said:

Update: I messed around with the lua files. I was able to fix this issue by updating this line in constants.lua

- CONTROL_MENU_START = 84
+ CONTROL_MENU_START = 13

it seems that 84 value doesn't map to anything in xbox one controllers. I got 13 from another line that indicates that's the pause button (that's the button I used before)

Hi, I had the same issue yesterday. I have a Macbook. Can you tell me where did you find this file - constants.lua ?

Share this comment

We are looking into this issue. Could you please try resetting your key binds in the settings' controls tab? This should fix your issue. If not, please let us know.

We apology for the inconvenience. Thank you.

Changed Status to Known Issue

• Like 2

Share this comment

Hi there — I'm having this same issue. PS4 Dualshock controller and a MacBook Pro. Cannot start server. Seems that both the OPTIONS and the SHARE buttons say "-no bind-" when they would need to be used.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, DiogoW said:

We are looking into this issue. Could you please try resetting your key binds in the settings' controls tab? This should fix your issue. If not, please let us know.

Hi, thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, I can not reset my settings using the controller (joystick). in the game's lobby settings, because the apply button is not binded.
so I have only one way to play a game by using a keyboard. 
Could you please advise me on which file I should modify to fix it?  
thank you :love_heart:

Share this comment

12 hours ago, monstera_s said:

Hi, I had the same issue yesterday. I have a Macbook. Can you tell me where did you find this file - constants.lua ?

Hi sure!

So it's a little complicated (this is messing with the source code of the game) but this is what I did
(You should make sure the game is not running while doing this)
First go to
/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together/dontstarve_steam.app/Contents/data/databundles/

This can actually be tricky because if you do it through the regular finder then when you get to 
/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together/
the dontstarve_steam.app is the actual game, so if you click on it it will open the game. Instead just right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

Once you get to the databundles directory you'll see a few .zip files. You'll want to unzip scripts.zip. However, there's two issues.
1. it won't let you
2. you want to make sure you save this so you don't mess something up and have to reinstall the game!

So first I'd recommend copying the whole folder to somewhere else like your downloads directory. Then I'd reommend renaming the existing file in databundles to scripts_bak.zip.

Once that's done you can unzip the file in your downloads directory. You should get a directory called scripts. In there is the constants.lua file. Open it up with whatever editor and go to line 198 or just look for 
CONTROL_MENU_START = 84 and change it to
CONTROL_MENU_START = 13

Now save that and just copy the entire scripts folder back to the databundles directory and finally right click on it and select 'Compress "scripts"' That should create a scripts.zip replacing the previous scripts.zip

Now you should be able to start the game. It will give you a scary message that is essentially just saying you change the source code, just say open anyway or something like that. But it should work hopefully!

I only tested that this let me start a world btw. I didn't check if it let me change settings or anything like that.

Edited by kayzingzingy
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Forgot to mention on an update the scripts.zip will be overwritten so you'll need to do the same again, until this bug is fixed.

Also I did check and it also fixes the issue with the binding for applying changes in settings. Though it doesn't fix no binding for "manage world" on the world selection screen since that is bound to the select button.

Just tested and to fix the select button one you can change

- CONTROL_MENU_BACK = 83
+ CONTROL_MENU_BACK = 14

• Like 1

Share this comment

Thank you for your help I also had the same problem, and with that it was solved (I checked on a Windows pc and the numbers are the same "83 84" only that in it if the controls are working well so I suppose that the mapping problem is in some other line or maybe file "I imagine they did it like this to avoid some address conflict in some specific situation") the important thing is that it works well when modifying that value I will leave a lines in Spanish in case some other user has the same problem since it was difficult for me to find the solution.

problema con iniciar servidor tecla sin asignar 

problema para asignar botón aplicar sin asignar 

Problema con joystick dont starve 

• Like 1

Share this comment

On 3/29/2024 at 5:27 AM, kai421 said:

It works,if you are not sever.

It is very helpful , thanks you !

截圖 2024-03-29 下午5.15.58.png

I don't believe this is related. The issue is just whether there's a button to start the server on xbox controller

Share this comment

On 3/28/2024 at 9:10 PM, DiogoW said:

Is an update under way to fix this? I'm having the same problem with my Mac M1 and a Dualshock 4 controller. Tried everything. 

Share this comment

I am experiencing the same issues with the launch game button not being bound. I am using a MacBook Pro V.11.7.10 and a PlayStation 4 controller. When will there be a fix for this issue?

Also, I just bought a PS5 controller. It would work with Dont Starve Together (if the launch game button was bound) But It is not working at all with regular Dont Starve game. Is there a way to get my new controller to work with regular Dont Starve? 

Thanks for your help!

Share this comment

On 4/5/2024 at 10:26 PM, V2C said:

We should have a patch for this on Monday.

Has this patch been released yet? We have been dealing with this for a while after purchasing multiple copies of the game and now being unable to play. Also Mac M1 XBOX Controller.

Share this comment

Patch out. Now the game wont even start. "Disk Write Error" appearing while/after downloading from steam.

See attached screen grab

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.42.45 PM.png

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

If it doesn't work right away, then you may have to go to your save data folder and delete the client_save/profile file

Share this comment

Patch out. Now the game wont even start. "Disk Write Error" appearing while/after downloading from steam.

See attached screen grab

Can you link to the bug tracker so we can directly respond there? It's still not fixed on my end.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 6.42.45 PM.png

Edited by suicidalprofit

Share this comment

Confirming that this is fixed. I had to delete the client_save/profile file. Now everything is working as it did before the update.

Thank you for fixing!

Share this comment

I did the update and still the button is not binded. So I can not start the game. Where is this "client_save/profile file"? I dont know where it is located for me to delete it. Please help. Thank you. 

Update: I ended up finding that file after some deep searching. Deleted it. Restarted my computer. And the game runs perfectly. Im so happy to have my game back. I am not a gamer, but this is the only game I love to play. So Im just super excited to have it back. :)  

Edited by nikstarr29

Share this comment

No XBox controller is being detected - and prior to this as mentioned there was no option to Save the settings/update using a controller. Tested on beta version as well - not resolved there either; I also removed my DST directory and let Steam rebuilt it - no effect. Please resolve!

Share this comment