Since breaking through the surface of the asteroid our Duplicants have developed a curiosity for the endless cosmos that exists outside their little space rock. That’s right, the Duplicants have begun developing their very own space program!
Soon they’ll be able to build massive rockets, train as astronauts, and journey on missions into space to bring back the resources they find to the colony.
If you're interested, you can help us test this new content on the Rocketry Upgrade testing branch. These features are still being developed so please expect bugs, interface issues, and imperfect balance. We do, however, encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we further develop the update.
We look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum.
What does this testing branch contain so far?
The following content is available in the testing branch:
Modular rocket parts which can be assembled in a variety of ways
A new UI screen for interacting with your fleet of rockets and their missions
New buildings to support rocket-related research and development
A new critter and plant which can be brought back from space
Several new Codex entries to unlock over multiple playthroughs
New elements which affect Steel and Natural Gas production
Buildings for gas bottling and emptying
A new "No Sweat" game mode has been added to tailor your experience to your preferred playstyle. The previously available game mode is now called "Survival".
Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!
What is open testing?
"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the upgrade being released on September 6th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.
Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.
Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.
What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?
Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.
Do I have to play the open testing build?
Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Rocketry Upgrade releases in full on September 6th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!
How do I become an open tester?
There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.
How do I play the open testing build?
You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:
How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)
That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!
The game now has rockets.
New Buildings: Kerosene Rocket Engine, Liquid Fuel Tank, Cargo Bay, Gas Cargo Tank, Liquid Cargo Tank, Special Cargo Bay, Command Module, Gantry, Cargo Bay, Astronaut Training Center, Telescope, Oxylite Refinery, Liquid Reservoir, Gas Reservoir, Gas Bottler, Gas Bottle Emptier
New Creature: Gassy moo
New Plant: Gas Grass
New research point: Gamma
New Roles: Cadet/Astronaut
New element: Fossil, Sour Gas
New playstyle modes: Survival/No Sweat
- Fix deodorizer emitting oxygen and clay into the cell above itself, even if that cell is solid.
- Fix dupes not working during Red Alert if it's during bedtime.
- Heat energy renamed from Watts to DTU/s to acknowledge that the game does not conserve energy when converting from electrical to heat. Thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity units have been updated accordingly.
- Liquid Chlorine no longer links to the solid codex entry.
- Dupes no longer consider whether it is "night time" when choosing whether they should wake up.
- Slickster no longer plays hovering sound when swimming.
- Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy.
- More animations allow Duplicants to play their speech animations.
- Fixed a bug where Dreckos would not eat plants which were loaded in a wilted state.
- Fix plants sometimes not reacting to temperature changes.
- Tune fatal temperatures for various plants now that they are more reliably killed, ~50+ degrees of leeway between wilting and death.
- Tune down the light absorption factors of the common gases.
- Diseases that have actually been contracted cure more quickly with Strong immunity and more slowly with Compromised immunity.
- Calorie burn is now customizable in the setting screen.
- Plants will now sleep at night.
- Conversation topics are no longer viral.
- Fix selection collision for objects wider than 2 tiles that are flipped horizontally.
- Dupes can now have conversations about their attributes and current role.
- New sound effects for trussed baby creatures.
- New sound effects for a bunch of duplicant reactions.
- New glass ore art.
- Fix auto-sweeper range visualization incorrectly passing through glass tiles.
- Fix the tinkering buffs from engineering roles not stacking correctly.
- Fix mechatronics construction buff not stacking.
- Fix builder construction buff labels.
- Fix suit expert athletics buff mislabeled.
- New trussing anims.
- Copy settings now copies auto wrangle and max critter settings.
- Showering takes less time.
- Dupes now require a shower whenever they wake up instead of at dawn.
- Shower now applies a “showered” morale boost.
- Added morning stretch sound effects.
- Updates Espresso Machine sound effects.
- Added a "blank" minion widget on the schedule which can be used to "pull" dupes to that schedule.
- Fix drop down alignment on schedule screen and roles screen.
- "Inspect" popup now has a button to directly open the codex entry.
- Display a handy notification on the schedule screen to show the morale gain, and alert to weird schedules.
- Added tutorial messages to codex.
- Rec buildings no longer give "took a break" effect.
- Duplicants now get a morale boost depending on how many Blocks of Downtime they have in a cycle (up to 5).
- Make Night Owl correctly apply to all skills.
- Shine bug diets now include all of the foods which are listed as impacting the egg variants they're capable of laying.
- Fix Morb increasing polluted oxygen mass indefinitely if there is any other gas present.
- Arrow on the schedule screen shows the current time of day.
- You can now paint schedule blocks by dragging!
- Ranch Station displays status item warning of missing role perk required for operation.
- Fixed meter layering issues.
- Food/Decor perceptions are now shown on the details screen.
- Valve's are now prioritizable.
- Heavi Conductive Joint Plates are no longer allowed to have their wire connection points overlap other bridge connector end points.
- Clicking on a line in the display will no longer select items which do not count towards the total.
- Fixed formatting issue in resource display tooltip.
- Buildings that are only constructable by people in a certain role will now show that information under the Requirements section of the build menu.
- Marking food for compost no longer resets freshness.
- Fix dupes not taking Placebo when they have a medbed available.
- Increased Placebo duration from half a cycle to just under one cycle.
You can join in the Discussion Topic here.
If you run into a bug, please visit the Klei Bug Tracker.