It’s time to start public testing for our Whatta Blast update!
We've been working on a new meteor-shower defense building, a story trait full of strange fossils, and playtime-based drops for cosmetic skins (aka blueprints). All of this is designed for both the base game and Spaced Out! DLC.
The new Meteor Blaster building provides an alternative method of protecting your surface setup from meteor-related damage: once meteor showers are within range, they're targeted for blasting so you can avoid the hassle of post-impact colony repairs. We've also introduced the option to customize meteor shower intensity.
Blastshot projectile fabrication for this building requires the new Pyrotechnics skill, and a new Rock Fan trait marks Duplicants who work more efficiently during a meteor shower.
A new Ancient Specimen story trait contains the fossilized remains of an exotic critter that hints at things awaiting the Duplicants elsewhere in the ONI universe.
Our first few batches of blueprints were released via redemption on the Klei Rewards website. In this update, we have one Klei Rewards crate up for grabs plus drops that are unlocked based on time spent playing the game.
We really appreciate your help with the testing process! Please share your feedback here and report bugs here. We read it all and will do our best to recalibrate accordingly.
Here’s what you’ll find in the update so far:
- Added Ancient Specimen story trait.
- Added playtime-based skin drops.
- Added new cosmetic skins.
- Added Meteor Blaster building.
- Added Blastshot Maker building.
- Added Meteor Showers custom game settings.
- Added Rock Fan trait.
- Added "Pyrotechnics" skill which allows Blastshot Making.
Spaced Out! only
- Meteor showers now can be seen on the Starmap traveling to a destination asteroid and can be identified with a telescope.
- Added Ice Meteor Shower and Iron Meteor Shower to the Regolith Asteroid.
Changes and Improvements
- Renamed Comets to Meteors.
- Meteors can be destroyed using the sandbox Destroy Tool.
- Main menu and Supply Locker now show notifications when you have unclaimed Klei Rewards.
- Supply Closet “Check Shipments” button renamed to "Claim Blueprints" and is now disabled if none are available.
Spaced Out! only
- Changed "Dupe-made Ballistics" to "Interplanetary Payloads" on Space Scanner object detection list, to avoid conflation with Blastshot.
- Fixed Drywall edges not lining up visually when rotated.
- Meteors once again fall from above the buildable area of an asteroid.
- Fixed a bug where Duplicants would be displayed in Atmo Suits after opening fabricator side screens.
- Fixed crash that could occur when manually unequipping a suit while a Duplicant is already in the process of unequipping a suit at a suit checkpoint.
- Fixed bounding box of Dream Journal being larger than the artwork.
- Fixed a bug where some effects like the disinfect cloud were visible from another asteroid in the black void.
- Fixed crash when loading unofficial translations using smart quotes or ellipses.
- Fixed issue causing incorrect rendering at world boundary when running on OpenGL.
- Fixed an issue allowing dead Duplicants to satisfy task skill requirements.
- Reduced memory usage when loading animations when the game starts.
- Reduce memory usage of the animation data.
- Improved worldgen speed.
- Remove TagBits and its last remaining uses.
- Fixed an issue with WearableAccessorizer serialization causing some modded saves to crash on load even when mods are disabled.
- Renamed worldgen template spawning rules "optional" flag to "ignoreIfMissingTag" which is only used in DistanceFromTag tagcommands. In order to not break existing worldgen mods, it is assumed that AtStart tags on worlds without a starting template can be skipped.
Base game only
- Fixed Duplicants returning from a space mission not visually displaying their Atmo Suit.
Spaced Out! only
- Fixed an issue where the unbuildable area above an asteroid was incorrect on some asteroids.
- Fixed Duplicants exiting a Trailblazer Lander wearing a suit not displaying correctly.
- Rockets will now be shown in the unbuildable zone while they are launching or landing, and will go out of the screen instead of being cut out by the red zone.
What is public testing?
"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.
Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.
Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.
What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?
Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.
Do I have to play the public testing build?
Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!
How do I become a public tester?
There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.
How do I play the public testing build?
You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:
How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)
- In Steam, click on Library > Games.
- Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
- Right-click and select Properties.
- Go to the BETAS tab.
In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
- This branch does not require a password.
- In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
- Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
- Launch and play Oxygen Not Included
You can join in the Discussion Topic here.
If you run into a bug, please visit the Klei Bug Tracker.