As mentioned in the most recent roadmap post, this will be the third and final Quality of Life Upgrade before we prepare to launch the game! And we've got a few rather exciting improvements coming in to testing today:
First off, the Disease system has had an overhaul. Our primary goal is to make disease care more of an infrastructural problem (regularly requiring pill production and doctor time) rather than a surprise, acute problem. This means making disease less devastating, more frequent, and for pills and doctoring to be the optimal solution rather than just waiting it out. We also wanted to simplify the internal complexity of duplicants catching sickness and being sick, so the immune system was removed entirely and disease contraction has been simplified.
Second, we've been aware that the Jobs system no longer matched our original metaphor, and was really more like a skill tree for the duplicants. We have now rebranded Jobs as Skills, and are working through the UI and mechanics to make them feel more consistent and intentional. Overall the way you'll use the system and the benefits you get from it will feel familiar, but we also wanted to tweak the balance a bit to add a bit more meaningful choice in the order you take skills, as well as encouraging specialization a bit more.
Finally, we've rebuilt the steam turbine. It should be more usable in typical gameplay without resorting to fancy tricks. Because it still fundamentally produces power from heat, it's a tricky building to balance, so we welcome your crazy builds and feedback! (Note that there is a new turbine building, so existing turbines will be left in saves and you'll have to construct the new one to try the new features.)
And of course, there have been plenty of other improvements, bug fixes, and tweaks all over the game (be sure to check the full patch notes!). All of these are still work-in-progress and will be completed over the next 3 weeks, but we're excited to roll these out to you today!
And as ever, we love getting your feedback and bug reports.
What does this testing branch contain so far?
Here are the changes we've made so far in this Upgrade, loosely categorized:
New and Notable Features
Major Disease rebalance
- Sicknesses are more frequent but less deadly
- Immune system removed, germs have direct chance to infect
- New Medical skills
- New Doctor and Advanced Doctor Stations
- Medicine redesigned
Jobs system is now Skills system
- Experience is gained up front and then spent on Skills
- Skills Screen (formerly Jobs screen) displays acquired skills per-Dupe
- Morale Expectation is cumulative per skill learned, rather than tiered
- Steam Turbine rebuild
- New Skill Respeccing Station
- New Ice Maker
- Cooling Fan rebuilt to consume ice
- New Conveyor Shutoff Valve
- New Conveyor Ore Dropper
- New Automated Ore Dropper
- New Material overlay screen
Fixes and Improvements
- Slimelung and Food Poisoning no longer send Dupes to bed
- Separated sicknesses and diseases into two systems
- Added Medicine attribute to Duplicants
- Fixed crash if multiple Dupes interrupt what they are doing to perform the same fetch chore
- Unsuited Dupes walking underwater are no longer limited by distance but will travel more slowly
- Unsuited Dupes will strongly prefer not to walk underwater if possible
- Fixed Duplicants not being able to pass through a door that has no floor
- Fixed Duplicants not being able to jump onto horizontal doors on the cell below
- Removed Pharma Chamber -- replaced with Advanced Doctor Station
- Solar Panels and Space Scanners have a smaller audible radius
- Apothecary makes new pills to cure the new sicknesses
- Basic cure cures Food Poisoning
- Fix positioning of logic port on doors
- Filters and Buffers now operate on a precise number of ticks rather than scheduled time
- Added insulated storage type to allow storing ice without melting it
- Fix crash when building replacement ladders or poles
- Changed the colour in paintings to match the new colour of the Oxygen Diffuser
- Duplicants will now hold their breath if in a unbreathable area when low on oxygen
- Fix visual layering of automation memory gate
- Sensors now have correct logic strings
- Fix bug where Auto-Sweeper stops transferring items from Conveyor Rails
- Duplicants should no longer infinitely eat small amounts
- Increase material cost and construction time of Conveyor Bridge
- Fixed typo in Canister Filler description
Menus and UI
- Improved Duplicant side panel to group related information together
- Improved ordering of decor plants in the Flower Pot
- Added custom game setting to disable care packages
- Fixed crash where prioritize tool was trying to display priority of a chore that had already been destroyed
- Slide side screens now consistently handle decimal places
- Fixed crash when using labels on Duplicant portraits
- Returned focus to the game after editing a text box
- Removed 'Enter Text' placeholder string in empty text boxes
- Fixed crash in assignable side screen if an assignable building is selected when user clicks on "new printables" notification and selects something to pri
- Adjusted blueprint select screen to better layout accept and reject buttons
- Added UI icons for errands
- Fixed missing hotkey on logic switches
- Added right click, middle mouse and ASDW scroll to the research screen
- Side screen now displays the correct text when selecting a smart battery for the first time
- Fixed button spacing to support ‘Disable Autoharvest’ with new fonts
- Updated Russian translations
- Fixed the automation overlay crashing when hovering over the port of an unconstructed building
- Liquid and Gas overlays are less loud when many networks are active
- Added state change overlay
- Logic gates now show port information in the automation overlay
- Better formatting and display of logic port hovercards
- Logic input/output descriptors now describe the active/standby behavior in the logic overlay
- Logic ports can be hovered in the overlay to see their behaviour and active state
- Merge temperature and heat flow overlays into one mode
- Removed unnecessary title box around overlay filters widget
- Removed unnecessary padding in overlay legend when certain UI elements were active but empty
- Added top priority chore type
- Added "Yellow Alert" priority setting
- Renamed emergency priority to top priority
- Fixed crash when trying to add an element more than once
- Fixed crash during autosave when an old autosave file cannot be deleted
- Improved crash reporter stack traces
- Verify saved resolution in player preferences file is valid before attempting to apply it
- Always try to set some resolution even when none is detected
- Converted element csv files to yaml files
- Auto flush log writer on crash to gather more data from crashes
Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!
What is open testing?
"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the upgrade being released on April 16th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.
Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.
Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.
What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?
Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.
Do I have to play the open testing build?
Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the QoL Upgrade Mk 3 releases in full on April 16th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!
How do I become an open tester?
There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam or Epic Games Store.
How do I play the open testing build?
You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:
How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)
- In Steam, click on Library > Games.
- Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
- Right-click and select Properties.
- Go to the BETAS tab.
In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "qol_3_testing"
- This branch does not require a password.
- In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
- Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
- Launch and play Oxygen Not Included
How to launch the test version of Oxygen Not Included (Epic Game Store)
- In Epic Game Store, click on Library.
- Find the Oxygen Not Included Public Testing tile.
- Install this version of the game.
- If it has already been installed, click the gear icon and choose Verify.
- Launch and play Oxygen Not Included Public Testing!
That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!
You can join in the Discussion Topic here.
If you run into a bug, please visit the Klei Bug Tracker.