[Game Update] - 258691

Release Date: 03/07/18

Update Information:

Hello friends!

As we know life always finds a way, and it seems the colony is no different. At long last, the critters of the asteroid have begun sustaining themselves thanks to the Ranching Upgrade Mark I. When a critter's needs are all met and they're kept in the right conditions, they can now lay brand new eggs. These can be incubated to hatch new critters, or just used as a delicious source of protein (shh, don't tell them!).

There have also been several other exciting discoveries: The Duplicants have finally gotten their priorities straight with new Priority and Urgency systems, and have begun compiling an extensive Database of useful knowledge about their world! Just in time too, because new geological disturbances have appeared which may require further investigation...

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content for the next two weeks before it goes live. As always we appreciate your feedback, so please share your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum. Thank-you!

What does this preview contain so far?

The following content is available in the Ranching Upgrade Mark I preview:

Spoiler
  • New Ranching Gameplay
    • New Rancher job
    • Critter wrangling
    • Critter needs and conditions
    • Critter reproduction (Eggs!)
    • Critter Feeders
    • Grooming Stations
    • Incubators
    • Critter relocation buildings now lower tech
  • Info Database screen
    • Extended descriptions for many entries
  • Errand Priorities screen
    • Added more controls for job prioritization
    • Renamed errand priority "Urgency" to distinguish from individual Duplicant priorities
    • Added optional auto-prioritization for job-related errands
  • New geyser types
    • More geysers in each new world
    • Variable outputs and dormancy cycles

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

Mark I? What does that mean?

Due to changes to the underlying systems that controlled the creatures, we are spreading this feature over two updates. Next Upgrade (Ranching Upgrade Mark II) will also have a lot of critter content as we complete our plans for these features.

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is a preview of the upgrade being released on February 15th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs or crashes while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing the preview.

Regarding performance, the preview has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Ranching Upgrade Mark I preview, it cannot be reopened again in the Occupational Upgrade or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Automation Upgrade releases in full on February 15th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to test the Occupational Upgrade preview, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

Just switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "ranching_upgrade_preview"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this preview of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

lineup.png

You can join in the Discussion Topic here.
If you run into a bug, please visit the Klei Bug Tracker.