Too "scared" to continue playing?

But can you see that it does not have to be one way or another or does everyone think that it has to be only one way. How would giving options stop you from playing the game you want. You would still have permanent death and I would have optional save. This could be an option on a menu. Just like Diablo 3 hardcore mode. In that mode you die, you die. Why is everyone so set on the closing down this game to only a small set of people. You can be guaranteed that there are more people who do not want permanent death then do.

That's the only option this game is still lacking. Well, "lacking" for certain people. Think about most new games. The only option with impact on the gameplay is difficulty, which is mostly only HP of enemies and Damage.

I personally think it's better to play, explore and die rather than hide and play it safe. The more you play and explore the more you learn! Even if you die and lose all your stuff, you can't lose the knowledge gained during your last run. You can also use the same map by hitting "retry" when you die. So, once you get lots of the map explored, take a screenshot and save it for later, you'll know where things are on your next run.It took me a long time to make it to day 221 but after many deaths I made it. I actually ended up dying on purpose because of the new game update, lol. I'm currently on day 118 but starting to get kind of bored =/

I personally think it's better to play, explore and die rather than hide and play it safe. The more you play and explore the more you learn! Even if you die and lose all your stuff, you can't lose the knowledge gained during your last run. You can also use the same map by hitting "retry" when you die. So, once you get lots of the map explored, take a screenshot and save it for later, you'll know where things are on your next run.It took me a long time to make it to day 221 but after many deaths I made it. I actually ended up dying on purpose because of the new game update, lol. I'm currently on day 118 but starting to get kind of bored =/

Kittiko again with an awesome post.. I agree.. and I find it fits better with the way the game was intended from the beginning..Ripped from Steam page..Key Features: Uncompromising Survival & World Exploration: No instructions. No help. No hand holding. Start with nothing and craft, hunt, research, farm and fight to survive.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I feel like this was the way the game was intended to be played.

I think this game is funner when you can take chances. If you really play it in a "rouge" style the game play ends up stunted and flat. You don't want to take any risks. You can just sit in the rabbit fields to survive and live 100 or more days. Probably forever. The game needs combat and risk. You can keep making garlands and never go insane. What is the fun of that?

I think the idea of the game is to make it so you need to take risks in order to survive, but it's not completely implemented yet. Especially with the coming winter update, you'll probably be forced to do some risky things to get food during the winter. And I, personally, find being able to save and reload is betraying the intended gameplay experience.

They give you tools to stop you from dying(Meat effigies, amulets) and as Kevin said, he wants you as a player to "upgrade" your knowledge of the game and learn from your mistakes. It's not supposed to be an action RPG game, he even said that he really doesn't want combat to be a focus.

Hey InsaneBen!This is exactly why I like this game so much, a feeling of risk and exploration! I once topped 140 days and died, because I just took too much of a risk (did not craft an extra logsuite) before going in and do battle with a queen. After I died I did not play for days :) Cheers!

I like the no save yourself out of this thing. It works for FTL and it works for Don't Starve. They make death a real danger, not just something that forces you to go to previous save state.

It is a real danger and it forces you to play it safe. It takes hundreds of days in this game to accomplish anything because you're playing it safe to stay alive. I'm on day 46 once I stopped being so reckless, but it also involves venturing out a bit and then running back like a little girl half way through the day so I make it back to camp.To OP's point, there have been times where I wanted to play, but the threat of dying and loosing a week's worth put me off.(then I back up my game files and go have some fun :biggrin-new:)

It is a real danger and it forces you to play it safe. It takes hundreds of days in this game to accomplish anything because you're playing it safe to stay alive. I'm on day 46 once I stopped being so reckless, but it also involves venturing out a bit and then running back like a little girl half way through the day so I make it back to camp.To OP's point, there have been times where I wanted to play, but the threat of dying and loosing a week's worth put me off.(then I back up my game files and go have some fun :biggrin-new:)

You can do this without save file back up, we have amulets, meat effigy there are good ways to cheat death.

I got bored so I decided to take off all my armor and drop everything except for an amulet and go slap some pigs around. Good times.

If you have a meat effigy or an amulet you'll revive when you die. Craft them asap, relax and have fun!

I feel like just reloading a save isn't the game your buying , this game is meant to make you die , and permadeath is a thing that makes you cautious even though you want to be reckless , you bought don't starve , but if your constantly loading up savestates , your not buying what the game is offering , your buying a completely different game genre ... I feel like if you are too scared to die , you have to suck it up , I suicide in this game all the time for the thrill of starting again , my current longest days alive is 62 (I'm not dead yet) But once I reach enough days and a new character comes out , I'm going to die and start over , For the thrill of starting again.But like I said before , buying this game and reloading saves is not what the game you bought is for , its a rogue-like-like (as kevin put it) and if you reload saved data , you are not playing the game like it was originally intended.The only way to fix this is to remove access from reloading saved data to make people play like it was originally intended. Maxwell wants to slaughter you , but he can't be bothered if you are just ressurecting all the time..

I just use meat effigies or amulets when i wanna have some reckless fun. I feel like the game gives you ways to avoid death if you make an effort to find them. I know saving a backup is tempting, but I don't think it's necessary for the game to be enjoyable.

You guys really derailed my thread, but that's a usual for this forum, haha :biggrin:But since this thread's topic has almost changed completely, let me give you all my input on this.A game can generally go two ways when it's released (or before, for that matter) :1. The game caters to a small group of people, but those people are much more sure to love the game and embrace every single feature of it. This makes for a VERY solid and loyal fanbase, but not that much money for the developers.2. The game is catered to the mainstream group of gamers, which usually gives the developer much more money than option number 1. However, the plot and main features of the game is usually forgotten in the huge ocean of mainstream games.Since monetization is often a big part of the reason behind any product, many developers go through with option number 2, hence the huge amount of those games. It was made very clear from the start though by Klei, that this game is meant to be unforgiving and relentless. However, the massive outcries by casual players have made them nerf a lot of things since the beginning, which made a lot of rogue players angry. Why not just make some constructive criticism on the game's features if you have a good argument, or not play the game if you think it's too hard? No one ever complained about IWBTG being too hard, now did they? ;)tl/dr: Don't get butthurt about a game being too hard and unforgiving if it's in the product's description, as your crying will be heard by the developers and ruin the experience for the players that the game was actually meant to be released to.

You guys really derailed my thread, but that's a usual for this forum, haha :biggrin:But since this thread's topic has almost changed completely, let me give you all my input on this.A game can generally go two ways when it's released (or before, for that matter) :1. The game caters to a small group of people, but those people are much more sure to love the game and embrace every single feature of it. This makes for a VERY solid and loyal fanbase, but not that much money for the developers.2. The game is catered to the mainstream group of gamers, which usually gives the developer much more money than option number 1. However, the plot and main features of the game is usually forgotten in the huge ocean of mainstream games.Since monetization is often a big part of the reason behind any product, many developers go through with option number 2, hence the huge amount of those games. It was made very clear from the start though by Klei, that this game is meant to be unforgiving and relentless. However, the massive outcries by casual players have made them nerf a lot of things since the beginning, which made a lot of rogue players angry. Why not just make some constructive criticism on the game's features if you have a good argument, or not play the game if you think it's too hard? No one ever complained about IWBTG being too hard, now did they? ;)tl/dr: Don't get butthurt about a game being too hard and unforgiving if it's in the product's description, as your crying will be heard by the developers and ruin the experience for the players that the game was actually meant to be released to.

WAAAAIT a second. We have many members here who bought the game multiple times (including me, once) just to support Klei. Some even thought about donating, but Klei doesn't want that.

WAAAAIT a second. We have many members here who bought the game multiple times (including me, once) just to support Klei. Some even thought about donating, but Klei doesn't want that.

I was referring to games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. :-PGames where the developers play it safe and try to amass to as many casual players as possible, so that more people will hand out money for a game that is re-released every year with a new story and a couple of new weapons and features.

I was referring to games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. :-PGames where the developers play it safe and try to amass to as many casual players as possible, so that more people will hand out money for a game that is re-released every year with a new story and a couple of new weapons and features.

Oh, THOSE games. The games which are the complete same, only with maybe 1 or 2 more weapons, a better HUD and maybe a feature more.The games which have 50 DLCs after release.I once saw, when you buy The Sims 3 with all the DLCs, the price is something around 160€. This is madness.

Oh, THOSE games. The games which are the complete same, only with maybe 1 or 2 more weapons, a better HUD and maybe a feature more.The games which have 50 DLCs after release.I once saw, when you buy The Sims 3 with all the DLCs, the price is something around 160€. This is madness.

The Sims 3's 'worth' with all the DLC plus stuff packs and expansion packs = my mind is blown. I mean, it's not a terrible game but not something I'd throw all my money at.as to the topic of difficulty being killed by clamouring casual players:I woudln't say the experience is ruined by people complaining the game is too hard; more like the more you play the game, the easier it becomes and we quickly forget how hard the game was in the beginning.buuuuuuutbeing difficult is what makes this game charming.Just play the damn thing. >:C

The Sims 3's 'worth' with all the DLC plus stuff packs and expansion packs = my mind is blown. I mean, it's not a terrible game but not something I'd throw all my money at.as to the topic of difficulty being killed by clamouring casual players:I woudln't say the experience is ruined by people complaining the game is too hard; more like the more you play the game, the easier it becomes and we quickly forget how hard the game was in the beginning.buuuuuuutbeing difficult is what makes this game charming.Just play the damn thing. >:C

It something like: Main game 35€ or something, the individual DLCs 15€-35€ each single one.I think a big balancing thing would be that you unlock Wolfgang first (after wilson). So you have "easy-mode" earlier.

It something like: Main game 35€ or something, the individual DLCs 15€-35€ each single one.I think a big balancing thing would be that you unlock Wolfgang first (after wilson). So you have "easy-mode" earlier.

It would make the game seem even more difficult though. As in, people would pick Wolfgang and get discouraged at how hard it is to survive as everyone else. I think unlocking him later on gives the advantage of players learning to play the damn game before getting easy mode. By then they can use Wolfgang to play not because they NEED him to survive, but becuse they feel like relaxing a bit.

It would make the game seem even more difficult though. As in, people would pick Wolfgang and get discouraged at how hard it is to survive as everyone else. I think unlocking him later on gives the advantage of players learning to play the damn game before getting easy mode. By then they can use Wolfgang to play not because they NEED him to survive, but becuse they feel like relaxing a bit.

Hmm, true..

The Sims 3's 'worth' with all the DLC plus stuff packs and expansion packs = my mind is blown. I mean, it's not a terrible game but not something I'd throw all my money at.

EA is all about making money. TS3 has so many unfixed bugs it's ridiculous and yet they keep pumping out expansions while sending the majority of their team members to work on Sims 4. I'd never buy TS3 unless the price was about equivalent to what Sims 1 is now.That being said, I don't have any money to spare at the moment but I'm seriously considering buying an extra copy of this game just to support the devs because they are so awesome and the game is so good.

EA is all about making money. TS3 has so many unfixed bugs it's ridiculous and yet they keep pumping out expansions while sending the majority of their team members to work on Sims 4. I'd never buy TS3 unless the price was about equivalent to what Sims 1 is now.That being said, I don't have any money to spare at the moment but I'm seriously considering buying an extra copy of this game just to support the devs because they are so awesome and the game is so good.

Sims 3 is practically unplayable by this point, because the content is poorly managed and optimization is something EA woudln't recognize if it kicked them in the butt.anyway as for supporting Klei, I kinda wanna buy another copy for a friend who has nobody to share the 2nd copy with. @_@;

EA is all about making money. TS3 has so many unfixed bugs it's ridiculous and yet they keep pumping out expansions while sending the majority of their team members to work on Sims 4. I'd never buy TS3 unless the price was about equivalent to what Sims 1 is now.

That being said, I don't have any money to spare at the moment but I'm seriously considering buying an extra copy of this game just to support the devs because they are so awesome and the game is so good.

Well, there is always another option, related to a certain bay here on the internet...

Well, like i already said, people wanted to donate already, but Klei refused...

- - - Updated - - -

Sims 3 is practically unplayable by this point, because the content is poorly managed and optimization is something EA woudln't recognize if it kicked them in the butt.

anyway as for supporting Klei, I kinda wanna buy another copy for a friend who has nobody to share the 2nd copy with. @_@;

You can always give away keys for free :D

tbh I may end up doing that. Gotta ask a few people more if they wanna the game. Heheh I'm like a walking commercial for Don't Starve, I swear...

Here in Austria we call it "Mouthpropaganda" (translated). I have no idea if that word exists in english, tough. Anyways, it's one of the biggest forms of advertisement: Costumers talking to people who don't know the product yet.