Simple Steam Turbine Build

Is there some simple steam turbine build, I got volcano and could use it for something, but the recent steam turbine builds I saw here are way to complicated to build.

It needs to be small as well, cause i have volcano between my Natural Gas power plant.

8 minutes ago, Yunru said:

It's alright as a byproduct of using it as a cooling device.

well, u might want to cool some so as to not break your pipes. But most of the heat should gointo the oil. Asuming oil comes in at ~80 C u can get your nat gas out at ~80 C. No cooling needed or not enough for steam gen.

@_Q_ Here's a pretty simple one I posted here.

auto-pressurizing-steam-turbine-2.thumb.jpg.846bc20b9f9140c45a3f0d9d7e947922.jpg

It's about as simple as they can get, doors close when room gets too cold, turbine runs all the time while the magma heat lasts. The room was pressurized with 2 kg oxygen before the starting water was put in, it consumes no water/steam otherwise. Just add heat and get power. :)

For something more advanced, I refined this design a bit and combined it with a metal refinery/glass forge as a heat source here.

I don't think I need to boil oil, I have stored a lot of NG, I'm not using much power yet, but will need to run some water cooling stuff soon, and maybe some oil cooling.

Its around cycle 500 and I have whole map explored, run out of dirt, so cooking polluted water by using some of that volcano power is an option, that would give me steam as well, the problem would be how the get the dirt out of that hot room.

1 hour ago, _Q_ said:

I don't think I need to boil oil, I have stored a lot of NG, I'm not using much power yet, but will need to run some water cooling stuff soon, and maybe some oil cooling.

Its around cycle 500 and I have whole map explored, run out of dirt, so cooking polluted water by using some of that volcano power is an option, that would give me steam as well, the problem would be how the get the dirt out of that hot room.

Check this 

2 hours ago, landromat said:

steam turbines are made for cooling super hot stuff, not for energy

check what he's asking

4 hours ago, _Q_ said:

I got volcano and could use it for something

unless it's a metal volcano would seem pointless to cool it

The room was pressurized with 2 kg oxygen before the starting water was put in, it consumes no water/steam otherwise. Just add heat and get power. :)

What is that different from having on top natural gas to push down the steam, or helium to do the same thing?

4 hours ago, tzionut said:

What is that different from having on top natural gas to push down the steam, or helium to do the same thing?

No difference as long as the gas in question rises above steam. But oxygen makes it easy to build in survival. You can build a gas vent in the room and send oxygen into the vent to keep it pressurized at 2 kg while your dupes work. Make sure they access the room from the bottom so CO2 can sink down out of the room. Once done, remove the vent, gas pipes and any ladders, sweep the debris, wait for any remaining CO2 to sink out of the room and then you can close it up.

You'll want to take care to not let too much water in with the atmo switch before you heat up the room with magma.

I finally found a volcano on my save, I will show you my build sometime tonight :) Once i build it XD, it doesn't use other gasses or blocking the entrances of the generator. It isn't complicated either but forewarning it does not run 24/7 It could if I changed the set up mind you.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:47 AM, _Q_ said:

run out of dirt, so cooking polluted water by using some of that volcano power is an option

BTW, If you need dirt then do not boil polluted water. Use Water Sieve, it create much more dirt (with compost, of course)

For my latest base, I plan on having doors near the surface that open when the air gets too hot, which is then cooled by the steam turbine and then vented into space (with the venting hopefully sustaining the pressure gradient).

On 18-7-2018 at 12:16 AM, landromat said:

steam turbines are made for cooling super hot stuff, not for energy

Well they are probably intended for energy, but as is frequently the case any secondary function/byproduct of a device becomes the main and often only reason to use it.

Archived