Most value thing in the ONI

This thing can be changed to any thing in the game, to power, to food, to any kind of resource, but as you can imagine, If you giving this thing for power, food or resources - you losing it, and sometimes it's not possible to gain it back.

So the answer in the movie, but be careful, it can spoil your game, and if you wanna gain answer by your own - just don't watch this, keep play until you will get answer by your own.

2 minutes ago, landromat said:

They eat only on break time without any access since expression upgrade patch, but nice video overall, comrade

I didn't know that, but I'll keep this evening meal setup, to be sure on 100%

You can click "E" and read the report for each cycle - it shows a relatively detailed breakdown of your duplicant's actions. So you might want to optimize the "travel time" as this is basically lost time. Note, however, that if you set proper priorities, your duplicants can achieve much more much faster. I am playing with max dulicants(45 at cycle 132 currently) and I can tell you that my travel time is 20% of the total, so I'm also at 80% efficiency ;) , whereas in the beginning of the game it was around 5%, so I was 95% efficient ... but will always be the case with a bigger base, regardless of duplicant count. Also I haven't used much automation, which might make your base more efficient.

I do like your point about restricting duplicants' access though. If you do that with more you can basically grow in all directions with more man power, as long as you can control them properly. As you can imagine, I can't control what each of them does, so that makes them less efficient in many cases.

Another point, at cycle 300 you had time to make your duplicants proficient  in all jobs, so they have higher stats on digging, building and everything else. This is another reason why your dupes might feel faster. However, If I reach cycle 300, My dulicants will probably be able to do much more than yours - it's only logical that 40 people can build or dig much faster than 6 people, if I really want them to.

BTW you say that the most valuable thing in the game is duplicant labor, but at the same time you're not using it - you don't accept new duplicants. So how do you explain this discrepancy? If you really think duplicants are precious, you should multiply them as fast as possible.

3 minutes ago, martosss said:

travel time

When they use manual generators it's taking 100% of tier time and they will not do your orders, in case of spent efficiency(EF) to the power, at the same time if autosweeper place coal into coal generator and dube tune it up your base will gain 2 times more power than 2 dubs can generate from 2 manual generators for entire day, it will be invisible on report. Also auto sweepers encrease EF, atmosuits fulfilling by oxygen during the night and if it's not over before morning dubs can't go on duty it's also drop down EF but it will be invisible on report again, so travel time only part of EF and it's hardly to calculate EF, but you can feel it. It's like you feel sun and smile on its shine, same here, you looking on how they do your order and some times you feel rain or even tunder with lightnings or sun shine. :) 

50 minutes ago, martosss said:

So how do you explain this discrepancy?

Well it's all simple, if you set up order on some project, and you have let's say more than 3 dupes who goes to do that you can see next picture - 3 dubes going to the project, each of them dig/build 1 tile and after that they moving back to the base because some 3 of those extra 17 dubs will start moving to the project and dig/build next 3 tiles and so on, and it will be chain of dupes witch low EF. The same situation will happen if you place 2 or 3 projects at the same time w/o priority, they will start runing between those projects and EF will drop down on travel time. 3 dupes on project it's like happy medium in this game, but if you place 3 dupes on each project and split and restricted areas for each party, then yes, they will over projects 2 times faster, but remember as more dubs you have as more place/resources/and base support dubs you will need for you miners teams.

1 hour ago, Nativel said:

Well it's all simple, if you set up order on some project, and you have let's say more than 3 dupes who goes to do that you can see next picture - 3 dubes going to the project, each of them dig/build 1 tile and after that they moving back to the base because some 3 of those extra 17 dubs will start moving to the project and dig/build next 3 tiles and so on, and it will be chain of dupes witch low EF. The same situation will happen if you place 2 or 3 projects at the same time w/o priority, they will start runing between those projects and EF will drop down on travel time. 3 dupes on project it's like happy medium in this game, but if you place 3 dupes on each project and split and restricted areas for each party, then yes, they will over projects 2 times faster, but remember as more dubs you have as more place/resources/and base support dubs you will need for you miners teams.

I've noticed that as well, it happens because dupes can't see the tiles behind the first 3, so if they dig the first 3 tiles in 1 moment, then they think"oh, work here is done, I can't reach those back tiles" and they go somewhere else, and in the next second the pathing updates. If you force them to return at this point when the dig order is "white", then they'll happily continue fighting it with their laser guns. The solution is to give them more orders that can be completed in parallel.. or maybe put 1 on digging, one on delivery, 1 on building, so that they can work in parallel. It's very annoying how the pathing doesn't update until their next order starts, but that's how things are. If you have a dedicated digger and builders behind him it should work out relatively smooth - he digs out stuff first, then builders deliver and finish buildings behind him. Or you can have 3 diggers and 5 builders and finish in a finger-snap :D If you manage priorities right and play relatively slowly so you can follow what's happening you can prevent some of those mishaps.

I have problems with the checkpoints now - they're set to 1 direction and nobody can pass since suits are far away(not sure what the priority of suit delivery is supposed to be? Same as clothes, I guess - broken) ... I changed the setting to allow everyone anyways and it turned "green and happy", but still nobody passes ... and there's the inefficiency - dupes just aren't touching that area because it's forbidden, or they're making a huge circle to bypass the checkpoint and arrive from a different path. That's 1 reason why toggle should be on high priority - to quickly be able to order them to change a setting so that you can manually control stuff. That way you can disable the checkpoint => easy-peasy. But yea, that's what happens when you learn the mechanics of buildings in survival mode with 40 dupes laughing at you :).

7 hours ago, martosss said:

or maybe put 1 on digging, one on delivery, 1 on building, so that they can work in parallel.

Let's imagine order to build 10 tiles, they will start doing this: if area not diged yet, courier will came and start place resourses for all tiles, then miner will came and dig tiles for builder only after courier place resources for them and after miner will dig them builder start moving from base and build tiles. It's work badly, do not do that.

7 hours ago, martosss said:

I have problems with the checkpoints now - they're set to 1 direction and nobody can pass since suits are far away(not sure what the priority of suit delivery is supposed to be?

Got this crazy problem too so you have to set up deliver and then make sweep on atmosuit after that it works, and set up system to personal atmosuits to wear them right after they leave personal flats, a little help to understand how it's made 2-3 mins or so:

I don't want(and can't afford) an atmo suit for each of my 40+ prisoners. I want them to use the atmo suit only in a particular area(e.g. volcano with ++100°C or cold biome with --20°). However, If there's no atmo suit in the dock they just sit there and wait for the atmo suit until they piss themselves or starve to death :confused:

And regarding the 10-tile order, you can change sub-priority of tile building and digging, say digging has higher priority, so they first dig everything, and then build tiles. However, you do need to have the same main priority on building and digging for the appropriate people.

Here's a different approach - just dig out everything first and then build everything that you want. This gives you a much better parallelization, since the digging task is the same, so 1 person(or 3-4) will do it without stopping and wandering back and forth.

(unless some buldings are placed high require additional ladders to be built .. then it's a pain :D )

19 hours ago, martosss said:

but will always be the case with a bigger base, regardless of duplicant count.

Not... exactly true.

If you set up your base as almost a series of separate bases, dupes will only be travelling about the same distance as when you first started.

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Not... exactly true.

If you set up your base as almost a series of separate bases, dupes will only be travelling about the same distance as when you first started.

You'd need some serious base planning for it, but you'd still have to travel from the middle of the base to the outskirts at some point. I am curious to see a big(>30 dupes) and efficient base(<10% travel time). But it might be possible, if you plan it well and use automation. I am currently at 20-25% travel time with  ~50 dupes and it's a big mess, so I'm sure I can improve a lot. + Using metal/plastic tiles and ladders will surely help.

It'll involve a lot of assigning permissions for doors and whatnot, but it's doable. Farmers only have access to the farm section (including it's own toilets, barracks and mess hall) and the medbay, miners have their own section, couriers work between varying section and/or get replaced by automation, etc.

And yeah, you basically need to plan it from the start, or slowly restart your base elsewhere on the asteroid.

Archived