[Game Update] - 277680

31 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

What is the point in the 2kw wire now though? I mean technically all builds can just use normal wire or heavi watt now since only 1kw is gonna go trhough it except for aqautuners I spose

Nope, you can hook two Transformers into a single refined wire to bring your power to the Refinery and Aquatuners.  That's how I used to have it work before I learned about the battery method.

1 minute ago, Giltirn said:

Why can't we just have a slider on the transformer that maxes out at 2kW? The 1kW fixed-output cap is just an inconvenience,

I really like this approach (maybe even adjust the heat production of the power transformer depending on our selection)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

This is the best crash fix I have ever read so far. xD

Maybe instead of the fix they should have added the job "Spiritual Medium"?

I actually like the transformer fix because it brings it in line with what was intended. I think then we can give feedback on the problems it introduces because of our expectations being based on a bug, no doubt allowing for a transformer upgrade path or some other additional element.

• Like 3

I agree that the transformer had issues, here's the thing though:  if I have to build 2 transformers anyway, why bother connecting them to the same circuit with conductive wires?  Just use 2 separated circuits with normal wires and save a ton (literally) of refined metal.  Maybe late game when you have more refined metal than raw ores left available, then go back and rebuild with conductive; but before then it's really just a waste.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, _Q_ said:

No need to bother, in my current base I just connected it all with Heavi-Watt Wire, by all I mean metal refinery, rest of the base in on standard 1kw wire, it can overload since all things connected by it need 3.5 kw, but they are never running at the same time.

Yah, thats the problem now there is no reason to use conductive wire; might as well use regular and 1kw circuits instead of 2kw circuits in your base

Wait a minute.  If the transformer can ONLY supply 1KW MAX now, doesn't that mean that it is now impossible to overload a normal wire?

I might have 3000 W of devices connected to it, but at most only 1000 W will be travelling through it at any point in time (just leaving some equipment powerless).?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Wait a minute.  If the transformer can ONLY supply 1KW MAX now, doesn't that mean that it is now impossible to overload a normal wire?

I might have 3000 W of devices connected to it, but at most only 1000 W will be travelling through it at any point in time (just leaving some equipment powerless).?

PT has a small battery in it so I assume it will still allow for brief power draw above 1000W to fry things?  Not sure since this was the issue with putting putting things that use more than 1000W on it.

14 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

It's not.  If you leave a battery behind a transformer when it's offline because it doesn't have enough power (pick a reason), when the power catches back up you could end up with 1kW from the transformer + leftover power from the Battery pushing it above a 1kW circuit.

Miswirings are the more likely cause of seeing that happen though, where an accidental wire crossing will fire up a 2kW power result from two transformers where it was originally designed to be 2 1kW circuits.

When I started the thread about power transformers being way to new user unfriendly I never expected this change to happen. It's like, the worst possible change. It could work if some other, more powerful transformer would be added, for 2+kW but now due to lack of alternative solutions it will simp-ly add tedium from building and strapping additional transformers to the circuit.

I am very disappointed.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, turbonl64 said:

Theoritically you could have them supply 5kw/s. They provided 1kw for each tick, and 5 ticks accounted for 1 second. Basically you were able to power 2kw conductive wires with a transformer and battery.

@CheerioI really dislike this change btw. The only thing that this will do is being a nuisance. Now I basically have to create secondary transformers everywhere. There was nothing wrong with how it was.

Can I still connect two transformers to have 2kw cable powered? 

This update punishes me for being the aquatuner lover. Let's make some space for extra PT somewhere.

36 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Is the monitoring still in place ?... (please, give me my FPS back!)

Unfortunately, they are hostage right now until release on the live branch.

2 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Can I still connect two transformers to have 2kw cable powered? 

Yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lutzkhie said:

when you really miss someone so badly

There is nothing wrong with talking to dead people; the crash is what needed to be fixed.  Hopefully they fixed the crash and did not remove the good-byes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chemie said:

There is nothing wrong with talking to dead people; the crash is what needed to be fixed.  Hopefully they fixed the crash and did not remove the good-byes.

I know they added dupes mourning expressions etc. Personally I just restart a colony if a dupe dies so I have not seen it XD

Just now, thewreckedangle said:

rec room item, dupes "dance" and get +2 QoL (irc) has no art atm, but i wager it will look freaking awesome.

DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION!

4 hours ago, Exa said:

can't launch game right now : someone can describe the phonobox and its uses?

The dupes switch it on and then it makes "beep boop blimm bumm swosh" - music.
It gives Qol +2 for Dancing (but they do not dance so far" ^^
Me like <- but they should dance!
image.thumb.png.67e2fbd4f6b5da7de87d5ada5b6cc349.png

• Thanks 1

I can appreciate power transformers now more correctly doing what they say on the tooltip. If you don't stick a battery on the low side, that means you're guaranteed not to overload your circuit, and you can now use them to step up from a generator or two + battery connected with normal cables to industrial wire.

But since we're now going to need a lot more transformers and a transformer+battery with automation is now less viable for heat reduction, I would like the disproportional heat generation by the transformers addressed. This needs to be less and also proportional to the average current going over the transformer.

Edited by Sevio